pertaining to accommodations; domesticated
house
lasting
opposite
close

How to learn English? (30/30 Challenge)

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

How important are free learning materials to you? | My back garden/my back yard
How to learn English? (30/30 Challenge) #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 29, 2006 13:11 pm   How to learn English? (30/30 Challenge)

After discussing the question Do you want to improve your English? it's time for some action. If you follow the instructions below you will improve your English dramatically. Here is what you have to do for 30 consecutive days (If you fail to do the exercises on one day, you must start over again):

• Listen to an authentic English audio resource for 15 minutes in the morning and again for 15 minutes in the afternoon or evening.

For example, you can switch on CNN or play a DVD while you're having breakfast. Later when you drive your car or go by tram or bus, you can listen to an audio book (CD or MP3). It's not crucial what exactly you listen to as long as you listen to it for at least 30 minutes throughout the day. At the same time 'listening' doesn't mean you have to concentrate very hard on understanding every single word. In fact it's a good idea while you're listening to focus on something else such as eating breakfast or driving your car.

• Register on our forum (if you haven't done so yet) and write a summary of your listening experience and progress. Here you should tell us what you have listened to, how much you have understood and what keywords you remember. It's not necessary to compile a comprehensive and detailed report. It's quite sufficient to post a few sentences which we will amend so that you can improve your grammar, too.

Before you start, you should make sure you have access to enough authentic English audio resources.

Are you up for a challenge? Just bear in mind that if you don't participate in this experiment, then another month will go by without you having made any commitment to improving your English whatsoever. So, what have you got to lose? Give it a try.

TOEIC short conversations: A man gives his co-worker directions to a conference center
  • Torsten

How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 29, 2006 19:36 pm   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

Torsten wrote:
    In fact it's a good idea while you're listening to focus on something else such as eating breakfast or driving your car.

:lol:
    A jolly good idea indeed, especially concentrating on driving your car! More than that, I'd say: it's crucial!

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
    How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 29, 2006 20:46 pm   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

Conchita, I couldn't agree more. It's definitely advisable to pay attention to your driving. :lol:

All the rest of Torsten's recommendations are also excellent. Listening to 30 minutes of authentic English every day for 30 days is a very good idea. Maybe you should call this the "30-30 Challenge", Torsten. I wonder how many the existing forum members will take you up on your challenge. ;)

_________________

Learning English while driving in a car #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 29, 2006 22:26 pm   Learning English while driving in a car

Hi all!

I definitely agree with Conchita saying: learning English while driving a car is crucial, at least!

Like I mentioned at another topic I tried to hear and follow the BBC while driving with my car to my work. I must say that it took a lot of concentration as the speaker?s way of telling the news was rather quick and seemed to have not any punctuation. Of course, a native speaker possibly were capable to follow the texts but I?m sure that a native speaker also would overhear the half of the texts because driving a car uses often sudden concentration too, so that learning the language will be too difficult in that situation. The same situation were to do your work, having a headset at your ears and listening to English explanations.

I also noticed another effect on learning English what takes your concentration while learning. Learning or improving a second language means to learn or improve your mother tongue too. I mean as I?m proficient in using my mother tongue for some ten years I often speak without thinking about terms and the intrinsic meaning of words as it they are supposed to get used for definite expressions and in a definite way. Now, as I?m learning English I must recognize that my mother tongue contents words that are used for different situations in some different ways getting added by adverbs, prepositions or adjectives but the word is always the same. For example the use of the word erinnern. It will be used independent of whether you do active you are passiv. As I could learn the English translation of erinnern depends on whether you remember something at your own or yout get reminded. Another example were the English verb to get . I mean, I wonder whether I ever will get in mind what to get can be used for. That are challenges what often use a lot of concentration, so that it were dangerous to concentrate on while driving a car not only for the car driver but for the world around the car too.

So I agree to Torsten that it certainly were a good help to find some time a day to hear English but always ever if your concentration isn?t used for other things as much, please.

Michael
    Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

30/30 challenge #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:43 am   30/30 challenge

I think that Torsten's idea is excellent! It's very nice that you can listen to English radio on the Net these days. I personally think that you can listen to some very good radio programmes on the website of the BBC (www.bbc.co.uk/radio).
    Englishuser

How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:41 am   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

Dear Torsten :o
    You always surprise me in your ideas :shock:
    Unfortunately in my country we haven't radio B.B.C (speak English) but it speak Arabic and I agree with Englishuser, yes on internet I can listen to B.B.C English so I'll try hear Music or radio B.B.C every day.
    I love this Challenge and I'll start it on Saturday.
    Torsten I am ready for that (test me) :wink:
    Mba
    _________________
    Right is always stronger than iniquity.
    Dark Magician

Location: UAE-DUBAI

Learning English while driving a car #7 (permalink) Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:31 am   Learning English while driving a car

Fan of Arabian horses wrote:

Actually, that’s not what I meant at all, Michael :lol: ! You have to concentrate on your driving above all – as you have so wisely stated yourself! Imagine all the car crashes I might be responsible for, otherwise :shock: .

How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #8 (permalink) Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:59 am   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

Well , I listen to audio book, actually to the two audio books
    "Harry Potter and the Chamer of Secrets"/Rowling and
    "How to be good"/Nick Hornby.
    I may do this "listening" just hours and hours because of my job (sitting on something like a modern crownest
    makes this available specially now it is quite relaxed and peaceful on the Pacific).
    I do this every day and at least since four weeks without a break something like 4hours up to 10hours daily.
    I may ask for explenation in case of any problem somebody native or who ever English spoken on board around ,I have audio and paper books togeather with me.
    It is nothing new I was studing that way in the past.I knew some of English grammar and I have some knowledge how to learn in general.

If it is so good why it is so bad??

Do you think I am a special case?? Do you presume the same results may occur with many like me( I mean poor results).

Well ,If you have close to your place an enormous oak,
    how many leafes could you see (I mean in number)?
    What do you think?
    Can you just touch each of them and spend few second watching both sides?
    Would you be able to finnish the task soon?
    Would you be able to say , I know them all after counting because I had just touched them and would you be able to say
    I would recognize thei place and were they should be back hanging on an oak after.

It is rather difficult and normally overwhelming task for an human being.

Positive thing would be that a man or a woman are still able to make it, because they may really be deeply in love of that task.

My experiance, you need to pay passionate attention to the text to be able to keep learning and making relative good progress that way.
    You need a piece of literature which would blow you mind,
    and sneak deep in the heart to achive really something.

By the way I think I start next time with Antony Beavor "Stalingrad".

What may be crucial in studing language that way it is technology.
    Text on huge screen in capital letters or better natural written style but big enough to penetrate the brain just with pure picture.
    Simultaniously adding good quality audio in at least digital or stereo level.
    Projectors are getting cheaper and cheaper,software is probably already done for carroce.It shouldn't be really to much different or more sophisticated than that from carroce.
    It may exist already somewhere
    maybe Japan or China??
    That way you may easy keep advancing being relatively fresh all the time and concentrate for longer.
    Regards
    explorer Jan
    Jan

Location: At sea

Hi everybody #9 (permalink) Fri Jun 30, 2006 19:59 pm   Hi everybody

I find this interesting so as somebody else said "test me" let's see what happens in 30 days!

Cris
    _________________
    Brains like hearts go where they are appreciated.
    Cristina

Location: Lima Peru

30 day listening to English challenge #10 (permalink) Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:03 am   30 day listening to English challenge

The key to success in learning English is consistency. If you want to improve your English you have to make a commitment to yourself. Your level of commitment will largely depend on what goals you have in life. Why do you want to improve your English? Below are some possible reasons why you should improve your English and you can add your own objectives. Once we know why we are doing something it will be much easier for us to achieve our goals. If you practise and improve your English you will

• get access to information that is not available in your native language
  • be able to share experiences with people who don't speak your native language
  • learn more about language structures, word origins and semantics
  • gain self-confidence (success generates self-confidence, self-confidence generates activity and activity generates success)
  • train your memory
  • be able to learn about different cultures, life styles, mentalities and attitudes
  • find answers to important questions (how to find a new job, how to build successful relationships, etc.)
  • learn how to change your habits in other parts of your life too
  • be able to live a happier life

So if you are up for the 30-Day-Challenge (or as Amy said the 30-Minute-A-Day-Challenge) then put your name down on this list. The next step for you is to create some type of media library that contains all the different audio resources you are going to use in throughout your 30 day program. It's important that you prepare yourself for those 30 as you will have to change your daily habits.

More soon,

TOEIC short conversations: Inviting participants for a customer research panel
  • Torsten

How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #11 (permalink) Sat Jul 01, 2006 17:20 pm   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

I am ready Torsten
    So Mba in this list :wink:
    _________________
    Right is always stronger than iniquity.
    Dark Magician

Location: UAE-DUBAI

30 day listening to English challenge #12 (permalink) Sat Jul 01, 2006 20:59 pm   30 day listening to English challenge

Torsten wrote:
    The key to success in learning English is consistency. If you want to improve your English you have to make a commitment to yourself. Your level of commitment will largely depend on what goals you have in life. Why do you want to improve your English? Below are some possible reasons why you should improve your English and you can add your own objectives. Once we know why we are doing something it will be much easier for us to achieve our goals.

Hi Torsten

you are right .. I think that the success of learning English depend on our goals and our patience and also on looking for new ways on learning English which make us like English learning operation .
    at first ..when you start learning English ,you will be very excited and your production on learning English will be very high.

but after many months, or maybe after short time , you will find yourself tired or bored ,so we need for an exciting manners of learning ....so What are the good manner of studying English ..and what about us , I mean the busy people !! what's the suitable way of studying ?

Anyway,and about myself , I want to learn English for many reasons ,and I ask myself that : What is the First language in the world ?
    and which thing that give us helping and supporting in our life ?

My answer was two things .. The Computer sciences and Learning English ..

Respect..

Herc
    Hercules

Location: Syria

How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge) #13 (permalink) Sat Jul 01, 2006 21:03 pm   How to learn English? (30 Day Challenge)

By the way ... I forgot to tell you that "your ideas are fantastic Torsten , so thanks alot .." :D

Respect

Herc
    Hercules

Location: Syria

Thanks Torsten #14 (permalink) Sun Jul 02, 2006 0:30 am   Thanks Torsten

Consider me in your list Cristina
    Time I have,and I love the idea.
    Cris.
    _________________
    Cristina

Location: Lima Peru

Improve your english #15 (permalink) Mon Jul 03, 2006 15:02 pm   Improve your english

this is my report about my BBC-listening today:

Subject from the report was the resignation from the Airbus parent company EADS, Noel Forgeard. The resignation comes because Mr Forgeard was accused of deliberately sellling shares in EADS beform the company a dely to the Airbus A380 announced. The Airbus chief Humbert has resigned over the A320 delays, too. The shareholders are very angry about the proceedings by Airbus and EADS. They say that, Mr Forgeard has denied all statement about his selling of EADS shares. He said, he did?n know about the delay form the production. Following the scandal, demands a lot of peoples to end the dual managment structure by EADS. The Franco-German form has two chief executive an two chairmen, one from each country.

This was my report.

Regards Heike
    Lissy

Please read it and correct the mistakeshow to prepare for speaking test in toefl®Sunbathing can be dangerousCould anyone suggest some podcasts or sites to learn about stress and intonation?Don't,Mobile phone scamApologies.Grammar scolds unite!Staying Alive!Why English is the AAA Language in the world?Would you surrender it to ?Demonstrations in Turkey?How does a drive-through bank work?