in a place across an ocean
hard
perhaps
overseas
quarterly

Meaning of idiom: "didn't bat an eyelid"

"for dinner" vs. "in dinner" | Meaning of "close for"
Meaning of idiom: "didn't bat an eyelid" #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 30, 2006 16:52 pm   Meaning of idiom: "didn't bat an eyelid"

English Idioms and Expressions, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #14 "British Idioms", question 9

Not really. Funny thing is I asked her out and she didn't bat an eyelid. What I want to know is whether I did the right thing.

(a) didn't answer me
(b) didn't look at me
(c) didn't help me
(d) didn't show any reaction

ESL/EFL Test #14 "British Idioms", answer 9

Not really. Funny thing is I asked her out and she didn't show any reaction. What I want to know is whether I did the right thing.

Correct answer: (d) didn't show any reaction

Not really. Funny thing is I asked her out and she didn't answer me. What I want to know is whether I did the right thing.
_________________________

she didnt answer so that can also fall into she didnt show any reaction right?

JOE SOMEBODY
Joe

Didn't bat an eyelid #2 (permalink) Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:37 am   Didn't bat an eyelid

.
Not really. Not to bat an eyelid is not to respond in any way whatsoever. Not to answer suggests merely the lack of a vocal response.

The question asks you for the definition of the idiom, not to bat an eyelid, which means not to show any reaction.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of "the spirit of the season"Explanation of 'pigeonhole'"rise up" vs. "get up"Meaning of 'mitigate'Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"?Meaning of "losing her grip"Can i use "while" instead of "but"?Meaning of "walk up"'in next month' VERSUS 'on next month'Meaning of annulledI haven't heard VERSUS I haven't informedMeaning of "the front of your letter"Difference between deserted and abandoned