to create a formal agreement; to bind legally; to obtain
wrong
contract
founder
exert

"agree sth." vs. "agree on sth."

The verb feel and 'any longer-no longer' | Similar expressions to 'get out of my way'
"agree sth." vs. "agree on sth." #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 30, 2006 18:15 pm   "agree sth." vs. "agree on sth."

Hi, what is the difference between agree + on/upon + object vs. agree + object?

I saw a sentence like this:

... and we agree the new prices.

Shouldn't it read

... and we agreed on/upon the new prices?

Thanks in advance,

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about money wire transfer fees

Agree (I and T) #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 30, 2006 19:42 pm   Agree (I and T)

It seems that the verb 'agree' can also be transitive. The sentence We agreed the new prices is British use and means the same as We agreed on the new prices, which is far more common.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
"agree sth." vs. "agree on sth."? #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 30, 2006 21:42 pm   "agree sth." vs. "agree on sth."?

Hi Torsten

My opinion is similar to Conchita's: "agree something" is probably mainly British and "agree on something" is more common.

But I question whether you can say "agree the new prices". If you say "the", wouldn't that usually indicate that the prices had already been previously determined (by someone else)? In that case you'd have to say "We agreed to the new prices".

But "agree new prices" or "agree on new prices" AND "agree a new price" or "agree on a new price" would be OK.

I also think "agree something" would be used mainly to talk about things such as a treaty, a contract, a policy, etc. In other words, something fairly formal or businesslike.

"We agreed a new five-year contract." (*BE)
BUT:
"My husband and I finally agreed on a name for the baby."

One last comment (my gut feeling ;)):

The sentence "We agreed a new five-year contract." would be mainly a British usage. Americans would probably be more likely to say "We negotiated a new five-year contract." (i.e., the word "agree" might not be used at all.)

_________________

Anymore vs. no more'No' instead of 'Any'"Can't stand" in a past tenseOMITTED WORDSUnified Communications Revolution (UC)?Using 'the 39s' instead of 'the 39's size trousers'"doctor" versus "doctor's"Adverb orderUse more with lessDon't versus Doesn't"Live-in" son-in-law'Act' (adverb+adjective)Meaning of "give hand"