friend; member of an academic organization; suitor
recipient
instant
fellow
rubber

Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"?

Meaning of "losing her grip" | Meaning of 'mitigate'
Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"? #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 02, 2006 13:32 pm   Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"?

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Expressions and Gerunds", question 10

I'm absolutely starving as I haven't eaten all day. What about you do you have hunger or have you eaten?

(a) starving
(b) all day
(c) do you have hunger

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Expressions and Gerunds", answer 10

I'm absolutely starving as I haven't eaten all day. What about you are you hungry or have you eaten?

Correct entry: are you hungry
The error was: (c) do you have hunger

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
I'm absolutely starving as I haven't eaten all day. What about you do you feel hungry or have you eaten?
_________________________

Hi, about this question i just want to know why i can't use "do you feel hungry", in fact, i know:
"are you hungry?
"is right, what is the difference here?"
"are you hungry"
is more compendious and chief?? or "do you feel hungry" seems to be long-winded?

Many Thanks

FangFang
FangFang

Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"? #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 02, 2006 14:25 pm   Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"?

Hi FangFang

"Feel hungry" is also used, however this could also indicate that you're hunger isn't "real" but rather just a feeling. For example, people sometimes start to feel hungry just from the smell of delicious food cooking.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of "take it easy"Meaning of detersMeaning of estheticianMeaning of reelsShoudn't it be 'his students' instead of 'their students'?Must be wealthy VERSUS must be millionaireMeaning of "the spirit of the season"Explanation of 'pigeonhole'"rise up" vs. "get up"Meaning of idiom: "didn't bat an eyelid""for dinner" vs. "in dinner"Meaning of "close for"Can i use "while" instead of "but"?