Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!
 
substantial; real; tangible; current
enthusiastic
flawed
retail
actual
full quiz correct answer
 
Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of phrasal verb 'put down'



 
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Sung vs. sang (sing) | Meaning of tissues
listening exercises
Message
Author
Meaning of phrasal verb 'put down' #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:46 am   Meaning of phrasal verb 'put down'
 

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #84 "ESL Prepositions", question 2

My father put $1,000 ......... as a deposit to help my sister purchase a new car.

(a) in
(b) out
(c) down
(d) on

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #84 "ESL Prepositions", answer 2

My father put $1,000 down as a deposit to help my sister purchase a new car.

Correct answer: (c) down

Your answer was: incorrect
My father put $1,000 in as a deposit to help my sister purchase a new car.
_________________________

please kindly explain to me why " put..down " ? Thanks

June
June
Guest





Put down #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:21 am   Put down
 

Hi June,

In this sentence put down has the idea of agreeing to pay a certain amount and is the first contribution you make towards whole payment. If you want to buy something,you first make a payment (put down a sum of money) of for example 10% and then pay the remaining 90% at a later date.

Alan
_________________
English as a Second Language
You can read my ESL story Present Simple
Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Joined: 27 Sep 2003
Posts: 17284
Location: UK

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Put down #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:12 am   Put down
 

Hi again Alan, :)

Alan wrote:
Hi June,

In this sentence put down has the idea of agreeing to pay a certain amount and is the first contribution you make towards whole payment. If you want to buy something,you first make a payment (put down a sum of money) of for example 10% and then pay the remaining 90% at a later date.

Alan

How about 'in'? I usually heard people used "put in..."..
I am a bit confuse with that. Can u please furthering the explanation?
Zellzacks
I'm new here and I like it ;-)


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 18
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Meaning of phrasal verb 'put down' #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:21 am   Meaning of phrasal verb 'put down'
 

Hi,

'Put down' as I explained earlier suggests make a first contribution towards the whole payment. 'Put in' suggests make a contribution to a fund or financial scheme or the cost of something. It's often used to describe a situation when people share the total cost of something as when a group eat at a restaurant and everyone puts in an equal amount to pay the bill.

Alan
_________________
English as a Foreign Language
You can read my EFL story Progressive Forms
Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Joined: 27 Sep 2003
Posts: 17284
Location: UK

Meaning of phrasal verb 'put down' #5 (permalink) Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am   Meaning of phrasal verb 'put down'
 

Thank you Alan, im clear with it now.
Zellzacks
I'm new here and I like it ;-)


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 18
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Display posts from previous:   
Sung vs. sang (sing) | Meaning of tissues
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is a casino?Why do you need to doing that? vs Why do you need to do that?Typo: The word should be "character."What is a typical, carry-on baggage size?Am I correct or not?Difference between "severe" and "strict"Why putting the key information at the beginning is the one fundamental principleCan we say 'at saturday night'?pounded or knocked?expressionsn vs conditionsdaresay, not "dare say"Difference between "boarding gate" and "check-in counter""grap bag" vs "grab bag"

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Get FREE English course via e-mail