Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

politely; respectfully; graciously
courteously
instinctively
forward
nearby
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the difference between a bank teller and a cashier? | "The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?
listening exercises
Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:55 am   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #89 "Common Quantity Nouns", question 4

As she looked up, she saw a flight of ..........

(a) birds
(b) insects
(c) crows
(d) stairs

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #89 "Common Quantity Nouns", answer 4

As she looked up, she saw a flight of stairs.

Correct answer: (d) stairs

Your answer was: incorrect
As she looked up, she saw a flight of birds.

please kindly explain why is "a flight of stairs".

Thanks so much for your time.

June
June

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 03, 2006 13:54 pm   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

A portion of a full stairway between floors or between landings-- that is, a straight series of steps without a break-- is called a flight.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 16, 2006 21:10 pm   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Sorry, it is given below!

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #4 (permalink) Sat Dec 16, 2006 21:12 pm   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Can't we also see FLIGHT OF BIRDS?

FLIGHT OF BIRDS

http://www.astronomy-images.com/day-images/California/Birds/flight_of_birds.htm

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #5 (permalink) Sun Dec 17, 2006 0:26 am   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Hi Tom

Your first link doesn't work. Here are the first two sentences from your second link:

The flight of birds has been the object of man's study since prehistoric times, and the subject of emulation, admiration, and envy. Here I present some images of the flight of some of the birds in my neighborhood in Northern California and a few elsewhere.

Now here's my question for you:

Your link refers to "the flight of birds". How is that different from "a flight of birds"?

Amy

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #6 (permalink) Sun Dec 20, 2009 22:08 pm   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Hi teachers

Is it common to use 'flight' for a group of airplanes? as in:

He saw an aircraft carrier ruffling the ocean, carrying a flight of planes on the deck.

Thanks
Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #7 (permalink) Sun Dec 20, 2009 23:39 pm   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

It's a military term- a unit of aircraft.

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #8 (permalink) Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:40 am   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

so is it false if we say "a flight of plane"?
Harivony
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #9 (permalink) Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:14 am   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Yes, because 'plane' is singular.
Language Coach

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #10 (permalink) Sun Nov 07, 2010 19:04 pm   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Hello, everybody! Let's consider "flight of a plane" as a process of moving in the air. It can be seen too, isn't it? If we look up, of course.
Maxmax

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #11 (permalink) Sun Nov 07, 2010 23:14 pm   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

'A flight of plane' and 'Flight of a plane' are different things, Maxmax.
Language Coach

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #12 (permalink) Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:22 am   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Oh, thank you for explanation! I just forgot about "a". By the way, how it sounds for a native speaker when somebody skips this article? Does it always lead to misunderstanding, or it's not so inevitable? I'm strongly concerned about it, because I'm going to take a training course in India (New Dehli) soon.
Maxmax

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #13 (permalink) Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 am   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Hi Maxmax,

You raise an interesting point. I have noticed in the UK that some speakers (and they have been educated speakers) are dropping the indefinite article when the countable noun is qualified. You hear expressions like: That was great experience They have found considerable supply of drugs and so on.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #14 (permalink) Tue Nov 16, 2010 16:25 pm   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

Thank you for reply, Alan, you've really reassured me.
Maxmax

Meaning of "a flight of stairs" #15 (permalink) Mon Feb 21, 2011 14:09 pm   Meaning of "a flight of stairs"

DEAR ALAN

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE MEANNING OF "A FLIGHT OF STAIR"

THANK YOU VERY MUCH,SIR
MISS KIM
Kimdung9210

What is the difference between a bank teller and a cashier? | "The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on English Forums
What are household names?Money is the root of all evil...Measured off vs. metered off, test 486, number 5.Last but not least-meaningEnglish Slang Idioms (17)/5Test 641 number 9 "you get what you pay for" vs "you get what youIt has stopped raining/the rain has stoppeddifference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."enticementWhat does 'to know the ropes' mean?If I were you? Subjuntive?"down a peg" vs "down a hill"Expression: "Yes, I'll hold"