toward; at
counter
post
ad
step

Explanation of 'pigeonhole'

"rise up" vs. "get up" | Meaning of "the spirit of the season"
Explanation of 'pigeonhole' #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:41 pm   Explanation of 'pigeonhole'

ESL/EFL Test #75 "Christmas Postman (2)", question 3

Immediately you arrived you had to start sorting the mail into different pigeon ..........

(a) parts
(b) gaps
(c) slots
(d) holes

ESL/EFL Test #75 "Christmas Postman (2)", answer 3

Immediately you arrived you had to start sorting the mail into different pigeon holes.

Correct answer: (d) holes

Immediately you arrived you had to start sorting the mail into different pigeon parts.
_________________________

What are pigeon holes?
I know that there are the birds called pigeons.
But pigeon holes?

Pivosz
Pivosz

Location: Poland

Explanation of 'pigeonhole' #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 15:12 pm   Explanation of 'pigeonhole'

.
PIGEONHOLE
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'pigeonhole' #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 16:35 pm   Meaning of 'pigeonhole'

Hi pivosz,

In this story the pigeonhole is a small slot or compartment into which, as here, the postman puts the letters according to the name of the road. You can also use the word as a verb meaning put something into a particular category.

In the sort of desk where the front opens and pulls down as a table or writing area you will find in the top part of the desk different slots or compartments in which you can put writing sheets/envelopes/letters and so on.

_________________

"to worry" versus "to be worried"'adapt to' vs. 'match'On monday BUT NOT on the day after tomorrow? Why?Meaning of "take it easy"Meaning of detersMeaning of estheticianMeaning of reelsShoudn't it be 'his students' instead of 'their students'?Must be wealthy VERSUS must be millionaireMeaning of 'mitigate'Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"?Meaning of "losing her grip"Meaning of idiom: "didn't bat an eyelid"