Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

toward; at
counter
step
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Explanation of 'pigeonhole'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"rise up" vs. "get up" | Meaning of "the spirit of the season"
listening exercises
Explanation of 'pigeonhole' #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:41 pm   Explanation of 'pigeonhole'

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #75 "Christmas Postman (2)", question 3

Immediately you arrived you had to start sorting the mail into different pigeon ..........

(a) parts
(b) gaps
(c) slots
(d) holes

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #75 "Christmas Postman (2)", answer 3

Immediately you arrived you had to start sorting the mail into different pigeon holes.

Correct answer: (d) holes

Your answer was: incorrect
Immediately you arrived you had to start sorting the mail into different pigeon parts.

What are pigeon holes?
I know that there are the birds called pigeons.
But pigeon holes?

Pivosz
Pivosz
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Explanation of 'pigeonhole' #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 15:12 pm   Explanation of 'pigeonhole'

PIGEONHOLE

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'pigeonhole' #3 (permalink) Tue Jul 04, 2006 16:35 pm   Meaning of 'pigeonhole'

Hi pivosz,

In this story the pigeonhole is a small slot or compartment into which, as here, the postman puts the letters according to the name of the road. You can also use the word as a verb meaning put something into a particular category.

In the sort of desk where the front opens and pulls down as a table or writing area you will find in the top part of the desk different slots or compartments in which you can put writing sheets/envelopes/letters and so on.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

"rise up" vs. "get up" | Meaning of "the spirit of the season"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"to worry" versus "to be worried"'adapt to' vs. 'match'On monday BUT NOT on the day after tomorrow? Why?Meaning of "take it easy"Meaning of detersMeaning of estheticianMeaning of reelsShoudn't it be 'his students' instead of 'their students'?Must be wealthy VERSUS must be millionaireMeaning of 'mitigate'Why I can't use "do you feel hungry"?Meaning of "losing her grip"Meaning of idiom: "didn't bat an eyelid"