to oppose; to fight against; to challenge; to withstand
regress
resist
solicit
link

Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts"

now he's on skid row. | Meaning of continents
Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts" #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 05, 2006 16:11 pm   Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts"

ESL/EFL Test #143 "Idioms with the phrasal verb bring", question 1

Englishmen can't always quite ......... wearing shorts.

(a) bring off
(b) bring on
(c) bring up
(d) bring over

ESL/EFL Test #143 "Idioms with the phrasal verb bring", answer 1

Englishmen can't always quite bring off wearing shorts.

Correct answer: (a) bring off

Englishmen can't always quite bring up wearing shorts.
_________________________

I don't get the meaning of the phrase.

Gabi
Gabi

Bring off #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 05, 2006 16:50 pm   Bring off

Hi Gabi,

Bring off as a phrasal verb means achieve in the sense of doing something successfully. In the sentence bring off wearing shorts means not really wear shorts and at the same time look right. In other words if you try to wear something that is not suitable for you or doesn't suit your personality, you don't quite bring off wearing it.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Bring off #3 (permalink) Sun Feb 01, 2009 20:22 pm   Bring off

Dear Alen,
How can we use bring off in the business language as you said that bring off mean in the sence of doing simething sucessful or achievements

Can we make the sentences like this

He brings off their assigned target very sucessfully

please make two sentences in business writing .

Regards
Khan
Shafqat

Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts" #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:11 am   Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts"

Hi teacher,

My daughter's school had a successful event tonight. It was a movie night. there were a lot of people and the children
Were running around. However, the parent associates members brought off the jobs smoothly.
Kietsjsu

Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts" #5 (permalink) Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:24 am   Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts"

Hi teacher,

Kietsjsu

Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts" #6 (permalink) Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:42 am   Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts"

Hi Kietsjsu,

'Bring off' doesn't really work in that sentence with the noun 'jobs'. This verb is used more in the sense of achieving something abstract rather than simply completing a job.

_________________

Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts" #7 (permalink) Sat Oct 29, 2011 13:22 pm   Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts"

Hi Teacher,

How a bout. The parent associate members did bright off smoothly. Thank you.
Kietsjsu

What are glyphs?how to understand the word of plain?Quite a few employees?why" what" not "thatstingy and miserlyspreading it on kind of thickDone and stuffthe arduous taskAnother factor for change has been international equity investorsturned upside down with turmoilWhat does knock-off goods mean?What does alike mean?Meaning of internal accounting