to compare in a critical manner; to verify; to collect; to compile
propose
collate
match
concrete

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

ESL Forums | New ESL Forum Member?
Hello, I am Dani from Bulgaria | Dear all, I am Swami From India
Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:09 am   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

Hi everybody !

I'm very glad to be here with you. I am Vietnamese and I'm trying to find a chance to get an appropriate English level for my studying. I was spending a lot of time on looking for a teacher, who can help me to correct and assess my essays and I've finally found this website.

First word I must to present is my appreciation to Prof. Alan. I just suprise how he can find time to help us, learners English. The work he is doing is very valuable. (And it even will be more valuable if he give us marks for essays :D)

By the way, I hope to discuss with our friend in this forum about our essays. In think the more critics we get, the better our essays are.

Finally, I would be very glad to make friend with you, friends !
Gianglt

Greetings from Vietnam #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:17 am   Greetings from Vietnam

gianglt wrote:
Hi everybody !

I'm very glad to be here with you. I am Vietnamese and I'm trying to find a chance to get an appropriate English level for my studying. I was spending a bot of time, looking for a teacher, who can help me to correct and assess my essays and I've finally found this website.

Hi gianglt
There are a great many of tests with different levels of complication, so you can try your luck and even more improve your language skills.
It'd would be nice to read your essays. What are they about?
Pamela

Location: RF

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
:) #3 (permalink) Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:55 am   :)

Hi gianglt..

Hope you great time Here ..

Herc
Hercules

Location: Syria

Greetings from Vietnam #4 (permalink) Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:10 am   Greetings from Vietnam

Pamela wrote:
Hi gianglt

Hi Palema !
It is very great that you have a reply to me.

I am taking different tests on this website. They are quite useful. Besides them, I'm posting essays (you can see them in http://www.english-test.net/forum/forum16.html ) and looking for teachers' assessments.

Hi Hercules !
Thank you. Nice to meet you !
Gianglt

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #5 (permalink) Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:23 am   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

Your essay is very good! It's just my appreciation! :D
Pamela

Location: RF

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #6 (permalink) Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:20 am   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

Hi, Palema !

I've returned here from Kate's topic.

Я учился в московском университете имени Ломоносова и заколчил учебу 15 лет назад.

I still remember Russian but it is not convenient to press Russian characters by our QWERTY keyboard. I must use a Russian online keyboard :lol:

I'm preparing for an IELTS test and I intend to use this topic as my "English learning diary" as well as a place to make friend with forum's members. Can you pay a part of your times to help me by correcting my errors and give me some advices. I know that you are an active communicator.
Gianglt

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #7 (permalink) Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:33 am   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

Hi Tamara !

Tamara wrote:
Здравствуйте, gianglt :)

Tamara means 'a palm tree'. :)
The pet name of Tamara (in Russia) is 'Toma', but in my childhood my parents were (and my friends still are) much more creative :)

Would you like to give us a clue, what you name means (I have no guess) :) ?

Hope to see you – here and in discussions,
Tamara

I am so glad to see people speaking Russian here, like you and Palema.

As far as I know, the majority of Vietnamese words is pure Vietnamese, but people's names have Chinese meanings. For example, my firstname means RIVER and my surname means FOREST. It's Chinese family name, not Vietnamese. There are many Chinese people with surname Lin, and it changes to Lam in Vietnam.
Gianglt

About Foreign language project in Vietnam #8 (permalink) Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:15 am   About Foreign language project in Vietnam

My first atempt to write diary will be a thought about a plan of our government. Please be kind, my focus is learning English. So I hope to see your corrections.

Our government is having an effort to increase level in foreign languages for pupils in schools and students in universities. Ministry of Education and Training has just introduced its plan from now to 2020.
Please read:
http://english.vietnamnet.vn/education/2006/04/556889/

The main measures in this plan are the total volume of times in teaching foreign languages and changes in programs. Everything seems to be OK, but it raises a dispute between govenors, educators and normal people.

In my opinion, the situation will not be better. Only one thing will happen: schoolbags will be heavier, school-time will be longer. One thing we can do is establishment a new environment in society, where people can and need communicate by English, French, etc... It'll be better than forcing pupils to have more foreign language lessons at school.

How do you think about this issue ?
Gianglt

About Foreign language project in Vietnam #9 (permalink) Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:41 am   About Foreign language project in Vietnam

gianglt wrote:
My first attempt to write a diary is fixed on my viewpoint(opinion) towards our government plan. Please, be kind, my focus is learning English. So I hope to see your amendments.

Our government is having an effort(takes, is taking great pains) to increase (enhance) the level of foreign languages for pupils and students . Ministry of Education and Training has just introduced its plan with a duration of 14 years. (Please read http://english.vietnamnet.vn/education/2006/04/556889/)

The main points of this plan are the total volume of times in teaching foreign languages?? and changes in programmes. Everything seems to be fine, but this plan raises a dispute between governors, educators and common people.

In my opinion, the situation will not change for better. Only one thing may happen: schoolbags will be heavier and school-time (be) longer. One thing we can do is to create an atmosphere(environment)(, surroundings) in society, where people can communicate in English, French, (or you meant with English and French people?)etc... It'd be better than forcing pupils to have more foreign language lessons(classes) at school.

What do you think about this issue ?

That was my humble amendment. :D I'm able to do it better but, to my great dissapointment, I'm lack of time at the moment.
Pamela

Location: RF

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #10 (permalink) Fri Jul 14, 2006 15:24 pm   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

gianglt wrote:
My firstname means RIVER and my surname means FOREST.

What lovely names, Lam! My first surname means 'castle' -- and my mother's second one is 'palace' (we have two surnames in Spain). We could put them all together and make a fairy tale, the Old Castle by the River or something like that :lol: !

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #11 (permalink) Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:51 am   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

Conchita wrote:
My first surname means 'castle' -- and my mother's second one is 'palace' (we have two surnames in Spain). We could put them all together and make a fairy tale, the Old Castle by the River or something like that :lol: !

Hi Conchita !
You have an interesting idea about the tale. I'll have a try one time.

Thank you, Palema, for your amendment. I've received you message but I didn't reply. I still read Russian well, but my speed in typing Russian is very low. So, we'll continue our conversations here, OK ?

My second attempt is my willingness to encourage some one from old members in writing a biography about this forum. I am here about 3 weeks, and there are a lot of thing interesting and useful I haven't found yet. Maybe, a story about passed days of the forum, about our moderators, such as Torsten, Alan, Conchita, Mister Micawber, ... or about communicators like Tamara, Palema, ... Besides them, Hercules and FangFang are active members of forum, they are very interesting to new comers like me.

One thing confuses me while I'm writing these phrases. I am just a learner. I don't study on any Foreign language Falculty. But our heroes are people related to languages, literature, history. Maybe, everything I'm saying about exists somewhere in the forum.

J've joint forum because I want learn writting, and Alan is helping me a lot. But I see I can write about my opinions, about my feelings, I can make friend with many of you. It also help me a lot in speaking, writting, grammar, etc...
Gianglt

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #12 (permalink) Sat Jul 15, 2006 20:13 pm   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

gianglt wrote:

Ok, gianglt. With pleasure
Pamela

Location: RF

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #13 (permalink) Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:15 am   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

FangFang gave me an interesting question about the difference between Vietnamese and Chinese. It's a quite wide question, but I'll try to write something like an essay.

China and Vietnam are countries with shared border. Throughout history, Vietnam underwent thousands of years under the domination of old Chinese Emperors. So we can easily see influences of China on Vietnam in many aspect of life: from culture, social behavior to economic issues. But, there are some differences between people of 2 nations.

The first mention is about the behavior in process of integration. When being abroad, Chinese people always have their own community. They prefer to build Chinese towns inside foreign cities. Sometimes, they feel that these Chinese towns are part of the mainland. Meanwhile, Vietnamese people are more isolated from each other. There are groups of Vietnamese, but they are smaller and weaker.

The second advantage of Chinese is the discipline. When I was in the university, I used to admire Chinese students because of this quality. They always were in time attending different activities and followed strict rules. There is a saying: One a Chinese said about something, he is sure to do it. Maybe, it is necessary in such large country.

I would like stop with a small mention: Vietnamese tend to use origin goods, imported from other countries. At the same time, Chinese have many efforts to copy and make things with about equal quality. In the first time, there were noticeable difference, but production becomes better and better. Now many countries in the world worry about import Chinese goods.

The comparison given above is just a mention. I'm having a try writing an essay. Maybe something is wrong or too sensitive. Forgive me and please give the corrections.
Gianglt

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #14 (permalink) Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:49 am   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

Let me write something about my City Danang.

There are 2 big cities in Vietnam. Hanoi, the capital, is in the North and Ho Chi Minh city, widely known as Sai gon, is in the South. Danang can be seen as the 3rd city. It is located in the Central part of Vietnam and now becomes a destination of tourists.

Danang is actracting by the Marble Mountains, 5 marble hills,
where you can explore caves used as Buddhist sanctuaries. It is just 15 minutes by car from the downtown.

A new exploited spot in Danang is Bana mountain. Located apart from Danang 40 kilometers to southwest, Ba Na is 1,487 meters high over the sea level. Here there are four seasons in a day: spring in the morning, summer at noon, autumn in the afternoon, winter in the evening. From the top of the mountain, one can have a vast view of sea, Danang city and rice fields spreading to the horizon.

Gianglt

Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang #15 (permalink) Tue Jul 18, 2006 15:23 pm   Greetings from Vietnam, I am Lam Giang

Thanks, gianglt, for your geografical excursion :D My country is picturesque as well, one can contemplate the fantastic beauty of our nature. Soon I'll place some of my photos. :lol:
Pamela

Location: RF

ESL Forums | New ESL Forum Member? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Say hello to my old friendsProblem with registration?Hello from PolandHappy new yearNew member Fawzi - Hi all!Hey, guys! I am Jennifer :)I'm new here. My name is Justice and I'm an ESL studentHi to all, I am David, I am busying with preparing for GMAT®Study Abroad?I'm Ahmed from Saudi ArabiaRosalisa from CambodiaHi, I am Cristina from RomaniaHi!, I'm Khuzaida from Malaysia