Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

opposition; appeal; denial; protest
proliferation
source
objection
satisfaction
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'in the world' versus 'on the world'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the meaning of heightened? | hung up vs hung over
listening exercises
'in the world' versus 'on the world' #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:19 am   'in the world' versus 'on the world'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Common English Errors (3)", question 4

It's one of the nicest countries ..........

(a) on the earth
(b) in the world
(c) on the globe
(d) on the world

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #87 "Common English Errors (3)", answer 4

It's one of the nicest countries in the world.

Correct answer: (b) in the world

Your answer was: incorrect
It's one of the nicest countries on the world.

Can somebody help me please? I don't know the differences between "in the world" and "on the world" (in meaning). And in what cases we use "in the world" or "on the world". I really appreciate this. Kate.

Kate
Kate Busch

'in the world' versus 'on the world' #2 (permalink) Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:26 am   'in the world' versus 'on the world'

Hi Kate

You can use "in the world" to talk inclusively about all of something that can be found throughout the world. A synonym is "on earth". Typically there would also be a superlative in the sentence (as there was in the test question: "nicest"). Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world.

Or you could use "in the world" to talk about everything in a particular "world" (category):
Many well-known people in the world of sports are paid to promote specific products.

Regarding "on the world": you could use that in a phrase such as "a window on the world".
Or the word "on" could possibly be used to mean "about": He has interesting theories on the world of finance.

Amy

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
why can't we use 'on the globe' #3 (permalink) Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:02 pm   why can't we use 'on the globe'

Hi,

Why can't we use 'on the globe' instead?

Please clarify.

Rahul
Rahul B

why can't we use 'on the globe' #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:15 am   why can't we use 'on the globe'

Rahul B wrote:
Hi,

Why can't we use 'on the globe' instead?

Please clarify.

Rahul

The phrase 'on the globe' could fit in the test sentence as well. It is, however, much less commonly used that 'in the world'.
Conchita
Language Coach

What is the meaning of heightened? | hung up vs hung over
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
meaning of "external communication"whether you can help me to check my mistakes in my writingWhatis the meaning of whipping?What is the meaning of thrashing?What is the difference between paintings and sketches?What is the difference between adapted and accommodated?What is the difference in meaning between adaptable and compatibleallocate vs. arrangeMortgage supporting documents by signed on the same date that they are dated?What does this idiom mean: "clear the air"What is difference between hit and beat?difference between think and thinkinghad vs didn't