to measure; to evaluate; to determine; to estimate
argue
focus
slander
gauge

'adapt to' vs. 'match'

On monday BUT NOT on the day after tomorrow? Why? | "to worry" versus "to be worried"
'adapt to' vs. 'match' #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 08, 2006 23:48 pm   'adapt to' vs. 'match'

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #63 "Synonyms for adapt", question 5

Jane isn't sure if she can ......... to the new situation.

(a) change
(b) fit
(c) adapt
(d) match

English Synonym, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #63 "Synonyms for adapt", answer 5

Jane isn't sure if she can adapt to the new situation.

Correct answer: (c) adapt

Jane isn't sure if she can match to the new situation.
_________________________

why "match " as 'adapt to ' appears as better usage

phoienx
phoienx

'adapt to' vs. 'match' #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:05 am   'adapt to' vs. 'match'

.
The preposition 'to' collocates only with 'adapt', not 'match'. In addition, 'match the situation' would mean 'duplicate the situation', which is not the intended meaning here.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Get around to doing something (gerund)Meaning of whippingExpression: "On Saturday night"Meaning of "foxy"Meaning of 'cream of the crop'"to roam" instead of "to stalk"Significance of 'does' -- Where it comes in to the usage?When do we use fault, error, blunder?Can we use ON instad of FOR?Meaning of "take it easy"Meaning of detersMeaning of estheticianMeaning of reels