affinity; compassion; pity; concern; empathy
scale
sympathy
gather
quotation

Meaning of 'cream of the crop'

Significance of 'does' -- Where it comes in to the usage? | When do we use fault, error, blunder?
Meaning of 'cream of the crop' #1 (permalink) Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:42 am   Meaning of 'cream of the crop'

ESL/EFL Test #202 "Idioms about Food", question 1

Ethan's teachers told him he is the 'cream of the crop' of his graduating class. What does 'cream of the crop' mean? ..........

(a) Good
(b) The best
(c) Not so good

ESL/EFL Test #202 "Idioms about Food", answer 1

Ethan's teachers told him he is the 'cream of the crop' of his graduating class. What does 'cream of the crop' mean? The best.

Correct answer: (b) The best
_________________________

meaning of 'cream of the crop', please

Silke
Silke

The cream of the crop #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 11, 2006 14:47 pm   The cream of the crop

As already explained in the test answer, 'the cream' (or 'cream of the crop') means 'the best' or 'the top'. In this case, it means that Ethan is the student with the best results. You could also say that he came top of the class.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "egged him on"Meaning of 'contorted'Meaning of gaffeDifference between prowl and strideExpressions: 'be out like a light' and 'spark out'Get around to doing something (gerund)Meaning of whippingExpression: "On Saturday night"Meaning of "foxy""to roam" instead of "to stalk""to worry" versus "to be worried"'adapt to' vs. 'match'Can we use ON instad of FOR?