strongly desiring; keen; fervently interested
impossible
unjudged
eager
good

Meaning of gaffe

Expressions: 'be out like a light' and 'spark out' | Difference between prowl and stride
Meaning of gaffe #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:12 am   Meaning of gaffe

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Synonyms for mistake and blunder", question 10

What he did was inappropriate to his social status, as a president of the country he didn't realize what a ......... he had made.

(a) mistake
(b) error
(c) misunderstanding
(d) gaffe

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Synonyms for mistake and blunder", answer 10

What he did was inappropriate to his social status, as a president of the country he didn't realize what a gaffe he had made.

Correct answer: (d) gaffe
_________________________

in this sentence what is the meaning of gaffe?

please reply soon

nayha
nayha

Meaning of 'gaffe' #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:34 am   Meaning of 'gaffe'

.
A gaffe is a social error. The first clause of the sentence (What he did was inappropriate to his social status) is a hint to the kind of error he made.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of billetMeaning of 'calling'Can we use 'affair' only with heartbroken sentence?I have been doing this since I have been born?Meaning of spree'in the meantime' versus 'for the meantime'If you don't mind vs. if you don't careMeaning of "egged him on"Meaning of 'contorted'Get around to doing something (gerund)Meaning of whippingExpression: "On Saturday night"Meaning of "foxy"