to advocate; to endorse; to speak well of; to advise; to suggest
borrow
disclaim
design
recommend

Meaning of "egged him on"

Meaning of 'contorted' | If you don't mind vs. if you don't care
Meaning of "egged him on" #1 (permalink) Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:13 am   Meaning of "egged him on"

ESL/EFL Test #202 "Idioms about Food", question 2

His drama coach 'egged him on' so he'd go onto the stage and perform as well as he did during the rehearsals. What does "egged him on" mean? ..........

(a) To discourage someone
(b) To encourage someone
(c) To tell them they should be embarrassed

ESL/EFL Test #202 "Idioms about Food", answer 2

His drama coach 'egged him on' so he'd go onto the stage and perform as well as he did during the rehearsals. What does "egged him on" mean? To encourage someone.

Correct answer: (b) To encourage someone
_________________________

Please more about meaning of "egged him on"

Salman
Salman

Expression: 'egged on him' #2 (permalink) Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 pm   Expression: 'egged on him'

Hi Salman

To "egg someone on" means you urge or cause someone to do something (something that they otherwise might not do or might be reluctant to do).

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Alone vs. lonelySimple of past of 'be' verbMeaning of billetMeaning of 'calling'Can we use 'affair' only with heartbroken sentence?Usage of 'lose' in various tensesI have been doing this since I have been born?Meaning of spree'in the meantime' versus 'for the meantime'Meaning of gaffeDifference between prowl and strideExpressions: 'be out like a light' and 'spark out'Get around to doing something (gerund)