to calculate; to figure; to estimate
space
debut
compute
attempt

Can we use 'affair' only with heartbroken sentence?

Meaning of 'calling' | Meaning of billet
Can we use 'affair' only with heartbroken sentence? #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:31 am   Can we use 'affair' only with heartbroken sentence?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Synonyms for business and employment", question 2

Marylyn was heartbroken when she found out that her husband had been having an ......... with his secretary for a long time.

(a) occupation
(b) involvement
(c) affair
(d) engagement

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Synonyms for business and employment", answer 2

Marylyn was heartbroken when she found out that her husband had been having an affair with his secretary for a long time.

Correct answer: (c) affair

_________________________

Salman
Salman

Affair #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 13:12 pm   Affair

The term 'affair' can be used in different contexts. It can have the sense of 'business': this affair is keeping him occupied; that's my affair (it's my business and not yours); her affairs seem very complicated (her business deals seem very complicated).

In the test sentence, it has the meaning of 'love affair' (often a secret relationship).

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
"as long as" versus "until"LILO is the acronym for Last In Last OutDifference between mocking and lyingWhat are gerunds?Meaning of "hot potato"Alone vs. lonelySimple of past of 'be' verbUsage of 'lose' in various tensesI have been doing this since I have been born?Meaning of spree'in the meantime' versus 'for the meantime'If you don't mind vs. if you don't careMeaning of "egged him on"