Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

opening; breach; hiatus; space; great difference; disparity
conviction
frequency
incinerator
gap
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'calling'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I have been doing this since I have been born? | Can we use 'affair' only with heartbroken sentence?
listening exercises
Meaning of 'calling' #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:32 am   Meaning of 'calling'

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Synonyms for business and employment", question 8

Samantha truly believes that it is her ......... to become a doctor. She feels she was born for it.

(a) job
(b) calling
(c) engagement
(d) appointment

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Synonyms for business and employment", answer 8

Samantha truly believes that it is her calling to become a doctor. She feels she was born for it.

Correct answer: (b) calling

Your answer was: incorrect
Samantha truly believes that it is her job to become a doctor. She feels she was born for it.

what is meaning of 'calling'?

Eutritschz
Eutritschz

Meaning of 'calling' #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:11 am   Meaning of 'calling'

Hi

The word calling can be used to talk about "a natural predisposition for a certain kind of work" or "an inner urge/impulse to do a certain kind of work."

Amy

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
I have been doing this since I have been born? | Can we use 'affair' only with heartbroken sentence?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
LILO is the acronym for Last In Last OutDifference between mocking and lyingWhat are gerunds?Meaning of "hot potato"Alone vs. lonelySimple of past of 'be' verbMeaning of billetUsage of 'lose' in various tensesMeaning of spree'in the meantime' versus 'for the meantime'If you don't mind vs. if you don't careMeaning of "egged him on"Meaning of 'contorted'