opening; breach; hiatus; space; great difference; disparity
conviction
frequency
incinerator
gap

Meaning of 'calling'

I have been doing this since I have been born? | Can we use 'affair' only with heartbroken sentence?
Meaning of 'calling' #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:32 am   Meaning of 'calling'

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Synonyms for business and employment", question 8

Samantha truly believes that it is her ......... to become a doctor. She feels she was born for it.

(a) job
(b) calling
(c) engagement
(d) appointment

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #122 "Synonyms for business and employment", answer 8

Samantha truly believes that it is her calling to become a doctor. She feels she was born for it.

Correct answer: (b) calling

Samantha truly believes that it is her job to become a doctor. She feels she was born for it.
_________________________

what is meaning of 'calling'?

Eutritschz
Eutritschz

Meaning of 'calling' #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:11 am   Meaning of 'calling'

The word calling can be used to talk about "a natural predisposition for a certain kind of work" or "an inner urge/impulse to do a certain kind of work."

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
LILO is the acronym for Last In Last OutDifference between mocking and lyingWhat are gerunds?Meaning of "hot potato"Alone vs. lonelySimple of past of 'be' verbMeaning of billetUsage of 'lose' in various tensesMeaning of spree'in the meantime' versus 'for the meantime'If you don't mind vs. if you don't careMeaning of "egged him on"Meaning of 'contorted'