Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to change; to shift; to exchange; to trade; to turn on or off
fax
vilify
switch
haze
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

At midnight VERSUS on midnight

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why I can't use IN? | Time prepositions (on/in/at)
listening exercises
At midnight VERSUS on midnight #1 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:40 am   At midnight VERSUS on midnight

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #206 "Prepositions of Time and Date (4)", question 9

......... midnight, the tradition is to sing a traditional song to ring in the New Year.

(a) On
(b) At
(c) In

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #206 "Prepositions of Time and Date (4)", answer 9

At midnight, the tradition is to sing a traditional song to ring in the New Year.

Correct answer: (b) At

may I use "on midnight"?

Ewita
Ewita

At midnight VERSUS on midnight #2 (permalink) Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:50 am   At midnight VERSUS on midnight

Hi Ewita

The word midnight means the same thing as twelve o'clock a.m. In other words, it is a very specific time. When you talk about a clock time, you must use the preposition at.

- at twelve o'clock
- at noon/at midnight
- at 8:30 in the morning
- at four o'clock
- at 7:15

You use on to talk about a specific day or date.
- on Tuesday
- on Wednesday morning
- on December 25th
- on Christmas Day

But, weekend is special:
- at the weekend (British English)
- on the weekend (American English)

Amy

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
At midnight VERSUS on midnight #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2011 16:28 pm   At midnight VERSUS on midnight

I'm confused about 'to ring' in: the tradition is to sing a traditional song to ring in the New Year,- what does 'to ring' concern here?

shouldn't it be:the tradition is to sing and to ring a traditional song in the New Year??
or
the tradition is to sing a traditional song ringing/that is rung in the New Year??

Thank You
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

At midnight VERSUS on midnight #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2011 17:32 pm   At midnight VERSUS on midnight

... to ring in the New Year
is a special phrase.
It used to be customary in the UK to "ring out" the Old Year at midnight on New Year's Eve by tolling the church bells as though for a person who had died, and "ring in" the new year with a cheerful peal.
The phrase survived though the custom has diminished. The phrase grew to relate to things other than bells, especially singing, but nowadays it even relates to more secular events, such as
We're having a party to ring in the New Year.
Language Coach

Why I can't use IN? | Time prepositions (on/in/at)
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
skip it-omit it?remove desire, ill will and ignoranceMeaning of "To make headway"How to use prepositions of time?"I'm sure we'll make it" vs "I'm sure we'll take it"What does write up mean?It is correct "... you must wear ..."?"Work out" vs "Work on"What does "well back" mean?Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?fair judgement vs. fair trialI would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?Meaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"