privilege or power attaching to a position; right
whim
zenith
prerogative
cosmopolitan

TOEFL® essay sample: People who work hard and sleep late...

How is the organization of the first writing task in iBT | TOEFL® essay sample: If you could change one important...
TOEFL essay sample: People who work hard and sleep late... #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:13 am   TOEFL essay sample: People who work hard and sleep late...

Hello, Allan!
Please give me some commons about my toefl essay.
Thank you very much for your help and time!

TOEFL essay sample

People who work hard and sleep late at night are hard-working people who will have success in their lives, while people who take naps during the day and sleep a lot at night are lazy. Agree or disagree with this agreement.

Although many people might agree with this statement, I do not think it is necessarily true in terms of their sleeping hours and health. (Is the introduction too short?)

First of all, I believe that people who work hard and sleep very late at night are doing themselves more harm than good. By the next day they going to work, they will probably feel tired, so they have no energy to continue their work. I have experienced this situation myself. Once I studied diligently for an upcoming math test till two o’clock in the evening, I could not keep myself awake during the test. Also, I had troubles remembering the formulas and how to solve the questions. When my test result came out, I could not believe that I forgot to write the last page, which was about twenty percent of the test. Therefore, from my experience, I believe that people who study hard and sleep late at night will not necessarily have success in their lives.

Second, the statement that “People who take naps during the day and sleep a lot at night are lazy” cannot be said to everyone. Some people may be tired from their work, and they must take a nap in order to sustain their energy. In fact, according to my biology’s teacher, students who sleep at ten o’clock and take a few naps during the day do better in their exams than students who sleep at two o’clock at night studying their exams. This is because sleeping nails their memories down. The longer you sleep, the longer is your memory, and the better you do in exams.

In my opinion, the statement should be readjusted to this: “People who work hard and have enough sleep are hard-working people who will have success in their lives.” In the future, I will work diligently and sleep early so that I can be successful at university.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two university students (2)
Janice

TOEFL essay sample: People who work hard and sleep late... #2 (permalink) Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:50 am   TOEFL essay sample: People who work hard and sleep late...

Hi janice,

I have made some suggestions in CAPITAL letters:

Although many people might agree with this statement, I do not think it is necessarily true in terms of their sleeping hours and health. (Is the introduction too short?) (THAT'S ALL RIGHT)

First of all, I believe that people who work hard and sleep very late at night are doing themselves more harm than good. By the next day WHEN they going/GO to work, they will probably feel tired, so they have no energy to continue their work. I have experienced this situation myself. Once I studied diligently for an upcoming math test till two o’clock in the evening, I could not keep myself awake during the test. Also, I had trouble(s) remembering the formulas and how to solve the questions. When my test result came out, I could not believe that I forgot/HAD FORGOTTEN to write the last page, which was about twenty percent of the test. Therefore, from my experience, I believe that people who study hard and sleep late at night will not necessarily have success in their lives.

Second, the statement that “People who take naps during the day and sleep a lot at night are lazy” cannot be said to/ABOUT everyone. Some people may be tired from their work, and they must take a nap in order to sustain their energy. In fact, according to my biology’s/BIOLOGY teacher, students who sleep at ten o’clock and take a few naps during the day do better in their exams than students who sleep at two o’clock at night studying FOR their exams. This is because sleeping nails their memories down. The longer you sleep, the longer is your memory, and the better you do in exams./THE LONGER YOUR MEMORY IS,THE BETTER YOU DO IN EXAMS

In my opinion, the statement should be readjusted to READ THUS this: “People who work hard and have enough sleep are hard-working people who will have success in their lives.” In the future, I will work diligently and sleep early so that I can be successful at university.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemRead these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Is enyone was in TOEFL® iBIT soon?I need your opinion: should I try IELTS?TOEFL® essay sample: Movies and televisionTOEFL® essay sample: Sun RainTOEFL® sample essay: Some people pay money for the things...TOEFL® essay sample: Men or women are they better drivers?TOEFL® essay sample: Will the mouse eat books?TOEFL® essay sample: Boys and Girls should attend separate...TOEFL® essay sample: Do you agree or disagree with...TOEFL® essay sample: Always telling the truth...TOEFL® essay sample: The disadvantages of using science...TOEFL® essay samples: People work because they need money toTOEFL® essay samples: Do you agree or disagree with...