to establish communication; to make a connection; to link to; to connect with
avoid
enlighten
replace
contact

Explanation of this dialogue

annulled vs. cancelled | What does the phrasal verb 'hand in' mean? Is it an idiom?
Explanation of this dialogue #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:15 pm   Explanation of this dialogue

ESL/EFL Test #33 "Responses (6)", question 4

John: 'That was very thoughtful of you to do that.'
Sue: '.........'

(a) Forgetful.
(b) Forget it.
(c) I've forgotten.
(d) Don't forget it.

ESL/EFL Test #33 "Responses (6)", answer 4

Sue: 'Forget it.'

Correct answer: (b) Forget it.

Your answer was: ?
_________________________

i simply can't understand the question what does it mean?

Emma
Emma

Question #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:20 pm   Question

The explanation of this dialogue:

Sue: 'Forget it.'

is that John wants to thank Sue for what she did because he believes she was very kind. Sue replies by saying that he doesn't have to say anything because it's not necessary.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Explanation of this dialogue #3 (permalink) Tue May 22, 2007 23:58 pm   Explanation of this dialogue

Is forget it a really polite way to answer? Could it have had a hint of dissapointment, because I either didn't understand what a pesron was trying to say or pretended to not understand, for it was rather unpleasant. And in that case forget it sounded bitter.
Snoopy_Blah_Blah

Explanation of this dialogue #4 (permalink) Wed May 23, 2007 11:37 am   Explanation of this dialogue

Snoopy_Blah_Blah wrote:
Is forget it a really polite way to answer?

Yes, it is in this context, as we are being modest about our action. Other polite replies after someone has thanked us are: 'Don't mention it' or 'Not at all'.

Snoopy_Blah_Blah wrote:
Could it have had a hint of disappointment, because I either didn't understand what a person was trying to say or pretended to not understand, for it was rather unpleasant. And in that case forget it sounded bitter.

'Forget it' in the context you described or in other similar situations can indeed denote a negative feeling like bitterness or impatience.

Explanation of this dialogue #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 10, 2009 0:46 am   Explanation of this dialogue

Hello everyone

What does 'Forget it.' mean? Thank you for your help.
Mickhael

Explanation of this dialogue #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:52 am   Explanation of this dialogue

'Forget it' suggests 'Don't worry about it', 'Don't think about it any more.

_________________

Explanation of this dialogue #7 (permalink) Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:00 am   Explanation of this dialogue

hello,
what is the meaning of thoughtful ?

thank you
Fitrihanday

Explanation of this dialogue #8 (permalink) Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 am   Explanation of this dialogue

'thoughtful' is used in 3 main ways. You will find the usage and examples here.
_________________

Explanation of this dialogue #9 (permalink) Sun Feb 10, 2013 0:22 am   Explanation of this dialogue

Hi alan
I am a bit confused about this test, i've know that it means sth like your welcome but i dont know its a polit form of responding or not ? :(
Niloufar1

Location: Iran

Obviously a computer can take all the hard work out of processingThat is definitely in our ballparkCome with me? What does that mean?redundant vs. unneededExpression "Jump all over"Meaning of "break the handle"Why do we use you instead of me?Turn in vs. turn onWhen do we use much and when do we use many?Sentence: Bill straightened up the office, pretending not to listen Bob's end...Difficult vs problemStrengths and weaknessesmeaning of list