to raise an opinion; to adjust the tone of
comprehend
vacation
voice
remove

What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

curb appeal | Capable of and able to
What is the difference between "end" and "finish"? #31 (permalink) Wed May 23, 2012 21:24 pm   What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

Robert Seltman about difference between [b]finish and end[/b]

"Sometimes a love relationship is finished (no more love) but not ended (still live together etc.).
A divorce will officially end a marriage, but emotionally this may not feel finished for some.

We finished all our work, so decided to end the work day and go home.

Finish means to complete something, while to end means to stop doing it. Often we end the day because we are too tired, even though we didn't finish all our work."

Me: I can say put an end to sth; but I can't say put a finish to sth. or:

I can say there is no end to it; but I can't say there is no finish to it.

End syn with close/ terminate
Finish means that I didn't finish once and for all ,I will continue later.
_________________

What is the difference between "end" and "finish"? #32 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 am   What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

The answer is 'end'. This is about a writer who has written most of the story except for the last part and doesn't know how to write the ending.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What is the difference between "end" and "finish"? #33 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 am   What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

Hi Alan,

Now exceptionally I don't understand your answer. The mistake can be in me.
You wrote: The answer is 'end'. To what is the answer is 'end' ? I can't see the question?
Where should I write the ending?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am under the weather. Yesterday evening when I came back from the hospital I saw the letters and to kill time I answered . Not to repeat myself I looked for something new.

My husband had to go to the hospital on Monday morning. The trouble came like a bolt out of blue .Pneumonia and pleurisy.

We wanted to rearrange our flat because it was a painting.(We had to paint his room as he has a lung-illness and he noticed that the old paint were coming off the wall. It was like a "white " silicosis) The painting had been ready yesterday evening and I am alone and I have to arrange the things, everything is covered in dirt.

I went visit my husband on Monday, on Tuesday and on Wednesday but today he told me not to go, try to clean what I can. On Saturday somebody will come help me.

I am under the weather . Its cause not the cleaning but I lost my confidence and I am hopeless.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Now I've opened for some minutes my laptop and I found your answer what I don't understand . Will you please to explain . Many thanks.
Regards:
Kati svaby
_________________

What is the difference between "end" and "finish"? #34 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 12:34 pm   What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

Hi Kati,

This was the question

#30 (permalink) Wed May 23, 2012 18:22 pm What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

Sorry to hear about your husband.

_________________

What is the difference between "end" and "finish"? #35 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 12:56 pm   What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

Many thanks Alan. It is clear. I thought that the mistake was in me. I didn't read the whole thread that's why I thought you had answered my letter- this disturbed me.

You answered the #30. Okay.

I am very sorry.

Regards:
kati svaby
_________________

What is the difference between "end" and "finish"? #36 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 13:37 pm   What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

Thank you very much. However, I did not receive message from Mr. Alan. I really want to know what he thinks.
Nhung
Nhunghien

What is the difference between "end" and "finish"? #37 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 13:37 pm   What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

I'm sorry about your husband too.
Nhunghien

What is the difference between "end" and "finish"? #38 (permalink) Thu May 24, 2012 14:11 pm   What is the difference between "end" and "finish"?

Hello Nhunghien,

The #32 letter was written to you. I believed that it is an answer to my letter.But non it is an answer to your letter.

Many thanks you sympathize with me.

Bye:
kati
_________________

curb appeal | Capable of and able to
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
File up an application foron walk-ins and reach-ins???proof reading on Weather. Pls check. Thanksmeaning of The final fraction is ‘fines’ – nameless dust.now they vs. they noweveryday vs every dayWhat is a recliner?What is ice hockey?What is a bat?What is the meaning of hikes?How long does the title search take?What does the expression "find the way out" mean?looking up information