under; below
unfortunately
beneath
beyond
ultimately

Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand

Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?] | Gotten out of bed [synonym for gotten up?]
Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand #1 (permalink) Mon Jul 24, 2006 20:23 pm   Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand

Hello

Are they same?

"Thanks in advance" and "Thanks beforehand"

Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand #2 (permalink) Mon Jul 24, 2006 20:41 pm   Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand

Hi Tom

"Thanks in advance" is a "standard expression" and is what I would recommend using.

The meaning of the second one is understandable, but I would never use it.

_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
in advance/ beforehand #3 (permalink) Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:28 am   in advance/ beforehand

Hi all of you,

Are the following expressions correct?

If you ever decide to do something like that again, please tell us well in advance.
I will book my tickets well in advance.
I will book my tickets long in advance.
I will book my tickets long beforehand.

_________________
The Importance Of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) I just love him!
Detlef

Location: Belgium

in advance/ beforehand #4 (permalink) Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:23 am   in advance/ beforehand

i choose the third one though i do not know why and also do not know if it is correct.
Meiling277869

Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand #5 (permalink) Fri Dec 25, 2009 16:19 pm   Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand

Who changed the original title of my message? That's what I would really like to know. Yankee, I found a sentence in Collins-Cobuild: 'Kathleen Wild got married without telling anyone beforehand.' I found the other sentences in the same dictionary. They were not marked as 'old-fashioned'.
_________________
Detlef

Location: Belgium

use of advance #6 (permalink) Mon Dec 28, 2009 16:49 pm   use of advance

Hi Detlef,

I would say:

If you ever decide to do something like that again, tell us beforehand.
I will book my tickets well in advance.

You wouldn't say or write "long in advance". I see where you are coming from, because it is correct to say something like, "It was a long time ago." Why can't "long' be associated with time, in this case? It's one of the many vagaries of the English language, and another reason I'm glad it's my native language. My hat is off (idiom!) to anyone who tries to learn it.
Ava

Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand #7 (permalink) Fri Feb 05, 2010 17:31 pm   Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand

Neither is correct and both come across as presumptive and rude in business correspondence. By thanking someone in advance, you're essentially saying, "I really need your help, but I'm not willing to take the time to thank you properly after you've helped me". Why not just say, "I appreciate any assistance you can offer", then after they have helped you, say thanks the traditional way?
JimL

Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:40 pm   Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand

Thank you very much in advance for your reply.
Thank you very much in advance for your response.

Can I put 'in advance' at the end of the sentence?

Thank you very much for your reply in advance.

Csaabaa

Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand #9 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 21:05 pm   Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand

It doesn't make much sense because it gives the idea that the reply is made in advance (first the reply, then the question).
_________________

Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand #10 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 21:17 pm   Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand

Thank you, I got it.

It shows me that I cannot think in English.
Csaabaa

Subject-verb agreementBracketed second letter of word?In factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.'The Final 4' -- BPbaby's coming/birth(at) any timeHow to describe the contents of agenda in an English presentation?Faulty Sentence?fail in the exam vs. fail the examcertain of/aboutto get one over onMeaning of "performance"?Arranged an encounter at a specific time [Explanation for 'made an appointment?]