procedure; plan of action; way; manner in which one conducts business; technique
territory
score
emergency
method

Penalty vs. punishment

What does platypus mean? | why is an article "a", but not "the"?
Penalty vs. punishment #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 11, 2003 14:22 pm   Penalty vs. punishment

Test No. incompl/advan-21 "Money Matters (4)", question 7

There is quite a heavy financial ......... attached to any action that involves late payment of taxes.

(a) punishment
(b) pain
(c) restriction
(d) penalty

Test No. incompl/advan-21 "Money Matters (4)", answer 7

There is quite a heavy financial penalty attached to any action that involves late payment of taxes.

Correct answer: (d) penalty

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Test No. incompl/advan-54 "Taxes", question 4

Under the current legislation if you are late in paying your taxes, then you have to face a financial ..........

(a) penalty
(b) punishment
(c) pain
(d) penalize

Test No. incompl/advan-54 "Taxes", answer 4

Under the current legislation if you are late in paying your taxes, then you have to face a financial penalty.

Correct answer: (a) penalty

Hey,

I?m a student from Austria.

I?d like to know what the difference between penalty and punishment is !?!
In which connection would I use penalty/punishment
Could anyone help me?

thx, lisi.
Lisi

Penalty more concrete #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 11, 2003 20:13 pm   Penalty more concrete

Dear Lisi,

I think 'penalty' is more concrete and often used with sports whereas 'punishment' is a more general term.
However, when you combine 'punishment' with other words you can create a specific term such as 'capital punishment'.
Let's see what Alan has to say on this issue...

TOEIC listening, photographs: At the optician's

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Penalty more concrete #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 11, 2003 21:03 pm   Penalty more concrete

Torsten wrote:
Dear Lisi,

Hi Lisi,

Torsten has asked me to add a bit, which I'm pleased to do. PENALTY is very often a financial imposition put on someone when they've broken a law, regulation. For example you get penalty points on your driving licence if you exceed the speed limit and when you have acquired a certain number you can lose your licence completely. There is a fixed penalty for stopping a train without a good reason. As Torsten says, it is also used in various sports where a player has broken one of the rules. It is in these senses an impersonal matter where the offender/wrong doer loses points or pays a sum of money to account for the wrong doing. Another word is FINE, which means very much the same.

PUNISHMENT is a personal retribution for wrong doing and has a moral implication. The idea is that a person is punished RECEIVES PUNISHMENT for doing something wrong and thereby suffers by for example being sent to prison, losing certain privileges, or being made to give up what they enjoy. And as Torsten says, there is CAPITAL PUNISHMENT where the wrong doer is put to death by the state - incidentally something that fortunately has been abolished in the UK

Hope this is useful.

_________________

Penalty vs. punishment #4 (permalink) Sun Dec 14, 2003 21:36 pm   Penalty vs. punishment

Lisi wrote:
Hey,

I?m a student from Austria.

Could anyone help me?

thx, lisi.

Hi Lisi,

You will find another example for a word combination with 'penality' in Alan's latest test here http://www.english-test.net/oai54/

TOEIC listening, photographs: The market

Penalty vs. punishment #5 (permalink) Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:34 am   Penalty vs. punishment

when i play a game i will get penalty from referee if i make any mistake and i will get punishment from my coach for what i have done ...
Yoki

Penalty vs. punishment #6 (permalink) Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 am   Penalty vs. punishment

You also will get a penalty when you continue ignoring basic rules of the English language, Yoki.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Have you seen my briefcase?

What does furry mean?"bird of a different color" vs "bird of the same feathers"'the hard shorts the CEO' vs 'the big shorts the CEO'what is the expression of hot off the press?What is a platypuse?adjust vs. adaptWhat does 'this business really suits me' mean?What is the meaning of style?Tortoise and the Hare?Found on the hands?What is the meaning of lambs?meaning of graciousWhy not unti (till)?