to join; to connect; to associate with; to relate to
link
border
injure
owe

Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope

Beginning vs. Begin | What does "one more go" mean? Is it an idiom?
Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 04, 2006 23:19 pm   Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", question 10

The only way to ......... with this one, Ted recommended, was to rush at the door, shove the letters through the door and go away as quickly as possible.

(a) tackle
(b) manage
(c) handle
(d) deal

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", answer 10

The only way to deal with this one, Ted recommended, was to rush at the door, shove the letters through the door and go away as quickly as possible.

Correct answer: (d) deal

_________________________

My question is once again about the synonyms like the verbs 'deal - manage - handle - cope'. How to define which of them to use? I thought that 'handle' is used if you manage to do something with hands but I saw the sentence 'a lawyer handles all my affairs' and now I'm confused. Could you explain?
Thanks in advance,

Greta
Greta

Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:54 am   Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope

.
They all are roughly synonymous, Greta; only deal takes the preposition with, however:

The only way to tackle this one
The only way to manage this one
The only way to handle this one
The only way to deal with this one

Cope takes with too, but is not among the choices.
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 05, 2010 16:20 pm   Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope

Does it mean that the first three verbs are transitive unlike the last which is intransitive because of the preposition which follows it?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 05, 2010 16:53 pm   Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope

Nenad, that is correct. However, "deal" has transitive uses itself.

The failure of the new business dealt the family a hard blow.
He dealt the cards.
Mordant

Location: United States

Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 05, 2010 17:34 pm   Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope

Does it mean that the verb deal is equal with the verb to afflict concerning the first example above?
Nenad11

Location: Belgrade

Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope #6 (permalink) Thu Aug 05, 2010 23:39 pm   Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope

Yes, 'deal a hard blow' = 'afflict seriously'.
_________________

Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope #7 (permalink) Thu Sep 13, 2012 16:19 pm   Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope

Please, why I cannot say "manage" instead. Thanks.
Cristovam

Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope #8 (permalink) Tue Sep 18, 2012 13:01 pm   Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope

Cristovam wrote:

Why can't I say "manage" instead?

Please see here: Synonyms like the verbs: deal, manage, handle, cope
_________________

Your little girl usually cries to get her way...this is the woman you sawWhat are you going to do about your car?Why "put up" is not cinsidered as a viable option here?Difference between 'populated' and 'popular'?difference between the use of site and placeIdiom: there's little chanceDifference between yet and stillIdiom: 'heaven only knows'Meaning of "There's no point"To bite the dustHaven't a clueI daren't think