unbelievable; inconceivable; fabulous; great; amazing
incredible
senior
rational
civic

Why "only people can pay taxes"?

In addition, wouldn't it be Government's department? | Patient care assistant VERSUS social worker
Why "only people can pay taxes"? #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:58 am   Why "only people can pay taxes"?

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Corporate Taxation", question 9

The central problem with the corporate income tax from an economic point of view is that, ultimately, only ......... can pay taxes.

(a) entities
(b) companies
(c) people
(d) some

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Corporate Taxation", answer 9

The central problem with the corporate income tax from an economic point of view is that, ultimately, only people can pay taxes.

Correct answer: (c) people

The central problem with the corporate income tax from an economic point of view is that, ultimately, only companies can pay taxes.
_________________________

I can't understand why "only people can pay taxes"? And personally, i think it is unfair that taxes on the production and sale of commodities would eventually be shifted by producers to consumers. Though we have seen that happening around us, like gas and oil......How to understand this sentence, is it relative with Sentence Ten?

FangFang

Why "only people can pay taxes"? #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:33 pm   Why "only people can pay taxes"?

.
Yes, it is indirectly related to Q #10, in that it is presumed (unfair or not) that tax costs will in one way or another be passed on to the consumer, i.e. the people.

Question #9 is not easy; but logically, only people will work as an answer, since it is certainly not true that only companies pay taxes: they are the ones who try to avoid taxes-- by passing them on to the consumer, among other methods!

Thanks for taking my test, FF.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of cock-and-bull storyMeaning of 'I got on famoulsy'What is the rule in this case?Assassinate versus SlainWaste versus RubbishMeaning of mingle"had'nt" versus "have'nt"What is the difference between 'my', 'mine' and 'me'?'on next week' versus 'in next week'Talking about somehing that will happen in the future+since"you'r" instead of "your"Are always doing somethingWords leaving and living