Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

compound; various objects that for m a unit
complex
relation
prospectus
sort
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
She looks like a star? | What does reading public mean?
listening exercises
Meaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted' #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 10, 2006 19:06 pm   Meaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted'

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #39 "State Secrets", question 7

Once this disclosure is ......... it's the job of the journalist to follow it through to a satisfactory conclusion.

(a) heightened
(b) highlighted
(c) high pitched
(d) hightailed

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #39 "State Secrets", answer 7

Once this disclosure is highlighted it's the job of the journalist to follow it through to a satisfactory conclusion.

Correct answer: (b) highlighted

I thought "highlighted" meant "spotlighted". I see you used here in another sense ("emphasize"), but this sentence is still a bit off for me. Can you give me an explanation for the whole "Once this disclosure is highlighted" part?

Thanks. :-)
Eta
Eta

Meaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted' #2 (permalink) Fri Aug 09, 2013 15:53 pm   Meaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted'

I think that disclosure determines the means of "be highlighted " It means the secret isn't any more a secret but a disclosure. It became published in an exclusive place so now it is the journalist's turn to publish it to the bigger community.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
She looks like a star? | What does reading public mean?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What is souvenirs?What is Ping pong?briefing vs. clearingWhat does proposed mean?English idiom: take out the trashWhat does tail mean?Introduce vs. enterHigh profile and high dramaMeaning of 'overrun'Difference between current and currentsCurb stealing in the countryConditional IIIWhat does this idiom mean: 'to get fired'?