to cut; to cut down; to cut into pieces; to mince
chop
kit
transfer
advise

Waste versus Rubbish

"had'nt" versus "have'nt" | Meaning of mingle
Waste versus Rubbish #1 (permalink) Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:29 am   Waste versus Rubbish

ESL/EFL Test #102 "The Parliamentary Candidate (4)", question 3

'Well, we can't sell them at a profit,' said the tractor driver, 'because the imported ones are too cheap. So instead of letting them go to ........., you can have them!'

(a) loss
(b) disaster
(c) waste
(d) rubbish

ESL/EFL Test #102 "The Parliamentary Candidate (4)", answer 3

'Well, we can't sell them at a profit,' said the tractor driver, 'because the imported ones are too cheap. So instead of letting them go to waste, you can have them!'

Correct answer: (c) waste

'Well, we can't sell them at a profit,' said the tractor driver, 'because the imported ones are too cheap. So instead of letting them go to rubbish, you can have them!'
_________________________

Why do u use waste instead of rubbish?

Thanks!
Sallyna
Sallyna

Waste versus Rubbish #2 (permalink) Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:38 am   Waste versus Rubbish

.
Go to waste is idiomatic, Sallyna.

go to waste:

Fail to be used or taken advantage of. For example, 'I hate to see such talent go to waste', or 'We bought so much food that some will be going to waste'. [c. 1500]

.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Drop over versus Drop byMeaning of "real driver"Expression: Take a seatHad/Was + prepositionMeaning of cock-and-bull storyMeaning of 'I got on famoulsy'What is the rule in this case?Assassinate versus SlainWhat is the difference between 'my', 'mine' and 'me'?'on next week' versus 'in next week'Patient care assistant VERSUS social workerWhy "only people can pay taxes"?In addition, wouldn't it be Government's department?