mail; column; opinion; role; job placement
mainframe
perennial
lasting
post

Assassinate versus Slain

Meaning of 'I got on famoulsy' | Meaning of cock-and-bull story
Assassinate versus Slain #1 (permalink) Sat Aug 12, 2006 15:03 pm   Assassinate versus Slain

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for kill and murder", question 6

The president of the country was ......... because nobody liked his hostile politics.

(a) killed
(b) ruined
(c) slain
(d) assassinated

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for kill and murder", answer 6

The president of the country was assassinated because nobody liked his hostile politics.

Correct answer: (d) assassinated

The president of the country was slain because nobody liked his hostile politics.
_________________________

Why not slain?

Aslan
Aslan

Assassinate versus Slain #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:18 am   Assassinate versus Slain

.
Assassinate is the appropriate collocation for politically motivated ('nobody liked his politics') killing of a public figure ('the president').
.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Expression: turn someone downMeaning of "turn of mind"Expenses versus ExpenseDrop over versus Drop byHow can I tell 'process' from 'procedure'?Meaning of "real driver"Expression: Take a seatHad/Was + prepositionWhat is the rule in this case?Waste versus RubbishMeaning of mingle"had'nt" versus "have'nt"What is the difference between 'my', 'mine' and 'me'?