predicted; expected; anticipated
incredible
exclusive
forecast
conversant

Can you hear what he is...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

why correct answer is road why not others? | It has stopped raining/the rain has stopped
Can you hear what he is... #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:44 am   Can you hear what he is...

Hello everyone and Alan,

Test No. incompl/elem-1 "Speaking already", question 1

Can you hear what he is .........?

(a) saying
(b) speaking
(c) telling
(d) talking

Test No. incompl/elem-1 "Speaking already", answer 1

Can you hear what he is saying?

Correct answer: (a) saying

I was wondering if someone could summarize the differences among these similar words. Is it absolutely impossible to use a word other than the correct one? How does the native speakers feel if I use the wrong word?

Bob
Bob

Location: Japan

Telling white lies #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:22 am   Telling white lies

Dear Bob,

There are differences between those verbs although their meanings are indeed very similar. Let's take a look:

a) What do you say about his new girlfriend? (What do you think about her)?

b) Do you speak Japanese?

c) Please, tell me a story.

d) I'd like to talk to Mr Mizumo, please.

Can you see the different contexts?
Let me know

TOEIC listening, photographs: An Asian puppet show

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Can you hear what he is... #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:49 am   Can you hear what he is...

Thank you, Torsten.
It seems that I need to be familiar with those typical sentences.
Bob

Location: Japan

1. Can you hear what he is ...? #4 (permalink) Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:27 am   1. Can you hear what he is ...?

Bob wrote:
Hello everyone and Alan,

The options are:
(a) saying
(b) speaking
(c) telling
(d) talking

Hi Bob,

Just to add something to what Torsten has said, I have made a sentence which icludes these 4 verbs, which you may find useful:

As I was SAYING (using words to describe something) before you came in the room, I was TELLING the others (informing them/this verb usually has an object) about John who is SPEAKING (giving a speech) tonight at the club and we were TALKING (having a conversation) about the possibility of going to listen to him.

Best wishes

_________________

Can you hear what he is... #5 (permalink) Tue Nov 25, 2003 13:26 pm   Can you hear what he is...

So great explanation! Thank you, Alan. It helped me a lot.
Bob

Location: Japan

Can you hear what he is... #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 am   Can you hear what he is...

Thanks Torsten for your e-mail lesson!Look forward to your next email
Con Ong Vang

Can you hear what he is... #7 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 am   Can you hear what he is...

Hi Conong,

It's great to you hear you liked the email -- you will receive your next lesson on Saturday.

Talk to you soon,

TOEIC listening, photographs: A castle

Can you hear what he is... #8 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:35 am   Can you hear what he is...

i want to know the use of do,does,did,done,has,have,had,hasbeen,hadbeen,havebeen
please perfect me in using these.
jothi

Can you hear what he is... #9 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:37 am   Can you hear what he is...

Hi Office,

Maybe we should take it one step at a time. Let's start by looking at the help words "do/does" first. Please read this and let me know what you think.

Many thanks,

TOEIC listening, photographs: Impressive column

Can you hear what he is... #10 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:55 am   Can you hear what he is...

hi Torsten
i agree with u. so teach me step by step

kiran
(Office)
jothi

Can you hear what he is... #11 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:13 am   Can you hear what he is...

i want to know the rules when/where to use do/does

office
jothi

Can you hear what he is... #12 (permalink) Thu Jun 26, 2008 14:08 pm   Can you hear what he is...

Did you read this?
http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic1358.html

TOEIC listening, photographs: Sea view

Can you hear what he is... #13 (permalink) Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:08 am   Can you hear what he is...

thx a lot for your lessons they are really great
Abdallah Akil

Can you hear what he is... #14 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 16:49 pm   Can you hear what he is...

Hi... again:) I'm a little bit confused.

"What is he saying?" or "What he is saying?" ? For my money, as I learnt it, the first sentence is a good one.
So I don't understand why is it (or "it is"?) "Can you hear what he is saying?" and not "Can you hear what IS HE saying?".

Or maybe it makes no difference is it "What is he.." or "What he is.." ?

Help.. now my confusion is getting worse :|
Violino

Location: Poland Gdynia

Can you hear what he is... #15 (permalink) Mon Jul 28, 2008 17:13 pm   Can you hear what he is...

Hi Violino

The test sentence is an indirect question:
- Can you hear what he is saying?

The following are direct questions:
- Can you hear him?
- What is he saying?

An indirect question is basically a question within a question. When you have an indirect question, the introductory question will have interrogative word order (Can you hear), but the following clause normally does not.

Here are a couple more examples of indirect questions:

- Do you know when he left the office?
- Can you tell me how much that sofa costs?
.
_________________

Test 641 number 9 "you get what you pay for" vs "you get what youWhat is the meaning of "hold any stock"?Test incompl/inter-292, Question 9difference between: "I may buy..." and "I may have to buy..."enticement"The" conclave: sounds a bit odd here?playing with a full deck of cardsIf I were you? Subjuntive?odvious vs obviousWhat is the difference between a bank teller and a cashier?Expression: "Yes, I'll hold"meaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."screen vs fritz