right; proper; exact; accurate
fleet
correct
vast
square

How can I tell 'process' from 'procedure'?

Drop over versus Drop by | Expenses versus Expense
How can I tell 'process' from 'procedure'? #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 14, 2006 15:18 pm   How can I tell 'process' from 'procedure'?

ESL/EFL Test #158 "GAAP", question 3

They can become accepted either as a result of due ......... or as a result of long term practice.

(a) placement
(b) polling
(c) procedure
(d) process

ESL/EFL Test #158 "GAAP", answer 3

They can become accepted either as a result of due process or as a result of long term practice.

Correct answer: (d) process

They can become accepted either as a result of due procedure or as a result of long term practice.
_________________________

Thanks for these questions of GAAP, they are really helpful!!!

Ok, I must have remembered that "Procedure Method" and taken it for granted that it was available here, too. How can i tell "process" from "procedure"?

Many Thanks!
FangFang
FangFang

Process #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 14, 2006 15:35 pm   Process

Process is often used in a legal sense to describe the way matters are dealt with in law. It can also be used in a technical way to describe the way in which something is made or manufactured. Procedure on the other hand is often related to ceremony and also to describe the way in which formalities and paperwork are completed.

due process is correct action in a legal sense
process could be used to describe making cheese from milk
procedure could be used to describe how you arrange to get a drving licence.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
How can I tell 'process' from 'procedure'? #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 15, 2006 0:24 am   How can I tell 'process' from 'procedure'?

.
Yes; in fact due process is a set phrase, and can be found as a separate entry in many dictionaries, for instance:

DUE PROCESS

The procedure or process required for a given judgment to be fair. Fairness here is specified in terms of the process rather than the outcome. For example, although it is desirable that those and only those who are guilty of a crime be punished for it, infallibility of judgment by the law courts cannot be guaranteed. The feasible goal is to try to ensure everyone a fair trial. Similarly, although it is hoped that important research does not go unrecognized, it is impossible to guarantee that the contributions of those who are "ahead of their time" will be recognized. The feasible goal is to ensure fair process (e.g., in the reviewing of research proposals for funding or research results for publication).
.
_________________

Meaning of 'go over' and 'go on'Time passes vs. time goes byMeaning of depricateMeaning of 'draw up'Drop in vs. drop byFall down vs. fall throughExpression: looking forwardExpression: turn someone downMeaning of "turn of mind"Meaning of "real driver"Expression: Take a seatHad/Was + prepositionMeaning of cock-and-bull story