expendable; spoils rapidly; likely to spoil; mortal
perishable
flawed
remote
artificial

Wonderful bends VERSUS wonderful curves

Forgive VERSUS excuse | Meaning of lonesome
Wonderful bends VERSUS wonderful curves #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 22, 2006 16:53 pm   Wonderful bends VERSUS wonderful curves

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #22 "Gerunds and Idioms", question 8

I'll tell you what I really like about cars that were manufactured in America in the 1950's and that's those wonderful bends in the body shape.

(a) I'll tell you
(b) manufactured
(c) bends

ESL/EFL Test #22 "Gerunds and Idioms", answer 8

I'll tell you what I really like about cars that were manufactured in America in the 1950's and that's those wonderful curves in the body shape.

Correct entry: curves
The error was: (c) bends
_________________________

i really didn't find anything wrong with the sentence so i just took a educated guess. i wanna know if its correct or not. if its not could i get the correct answer or correct hinT? thank you

Simone
Simone

Bends curves #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 22, 2006 20:00 pm   Bends curves

Hi Simone,

Curves suggests something soft, gentle and even seductive, which you need here to describe the shape of the car. Bends are more assoiated with sharper things such as angles and to with with plumbing, which couldn't be less seductive.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: "can you run that past me again"Idiom: It's all Greek to mePreposition During versus conjunction WhileIdiom 'rolling budget'Meaning of annual increment'Try + infinitive' versus 'Try + gerund'Meaning of "brand name"Never hit me VERSUS never whip meIs anything wrong with 'waiting for the bus'?Meaning of "wrong number"Position your products differently?Expression: carrying a bag under her armRetirement and pensions question