to raise an opinion; to adjust the tone of
comprehend
vacation
voice
remove

Meaning of deck

Origin of the idiom 'no cigar'? | Phrase: Can you buy my some Vanilla ice cream?
Meaning of deck #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 23, 2006 0:15 am   Meaning of deck

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #138 "Ways of disagreeing", question 4

Don't even think about it! I can't possibly take that on ..........

(a) deck
(b) place
(c) board
(d) position

ESL/EFL Test #138 "Ways of disagreeing", answer 4

Don't even think about it! I can't possibly take that on board.

Correct answer: (c) board
_________________________

what does the word deck mean?

Sherry
Sherry Lady

Deck #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:39 am   Deck

Deck is the floor on a ship.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of deck #3 (permalink) Sat Jan 24, 2009 20:26 pm   Meaning of deck

What does that mean "Don't even think about it! I can't possibly take that on board." ,teacher ?
I chose "position" and why my answer was wrong?
Khinelay

Meaning of deck #4 (permalink) Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:19 am   Meaning of deck

Hello Khinelay,

Thank you for your question. This is Tom Kane writing. Torsten asked me to respond to you. I am not "exactly" sure what your question is referring to. Was this part of a test? Let me try, however, to answer your question as it is: When a person says to you, "Don't even think about it"....the phrase is another way of being VERY direct, not in a polite way, that they do not want you to do something.

For example: Let's say you were in the security line at an airport and you were carrying a large bottle of water or some other fluid that was not allowed on the airplane. If a security guard was being nice he may say to you, "I am sorry that large bottle of water is not allowed. You can't possibly take that on board." Someone who is not being very polite, or nice, and wants you to know he is in charge, may say to you, "Don't even think about it! You can't possibly take that on board." Both are saying the same thing, except, "Don't even think about it" is just not a very nice way of saying it.

Khinelay, please let me know if this answer helped you. Again, I am not sure of the context of the sentences.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tom Kane

Meaning of deck #5 (permalink) Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:22 am   Meaning of deck

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tom Kane

Meaning of deck #6 (permalink) Sun Jan 25, 2009 17:18 pm   Meaning of deck

Tom Kane wrote:

Hello Tom Kane ,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, this is part of a test. I was wrong the answer because I chose the word "position" instead of "board" for filling in the blanks- "take that on .........." . I want to know why my answer was wrong.
According to your answer , I realized that this conversation was taking at the airport. So, I have to choose the word "board" because "on board" means "on airplane" . Am I right,Tom ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I chose the word "Position" because I thought the following kind of situation.
John thinks Mary would get a promotion. But Mary knows that she cannot get that position and she is pissed off. She didn't want him to think like that. He's wrong.She couldn't get this position.So, Mary replied him that
"Don't even think about it! I can't possibly take that on position" .
If I were Mary , could I say like that ? If not, how should I reply ?

I am not good at English. I know my question have lots of grammar mistakes and usage mistakes. Please correct my writing and pronunciation if it is possible.

Thanks in advance,
khinelay
Khinelay

Meaning of deck #7 (permalink) Mon Jan 26, 2009 16:55 pm   Meaning of deck

Hi Khinelay,

I looked at the test question that you sent. You are correct, more than likely this conversation took place at the airport. The word "board" is the correct choice because "on board" means "on the airplane."

This conversation could also be used for getting "on board" a boat. For example, lets say I owned a small pleasure boat. My friends and I were planning a day of water-skiing and having fun on the water. As we were getting ready to leave the dock, you and your friend showed up with a BIG cooler full of snacks and beverages. I might say to you, in jest, Don't even think about it. You can't bring that on board."

Khinelay, I think you are very good at English. Keep at it. I hope I was able to answer your question. I was wondering, what country are you from?

Thanks, Khinelay. Take care.

Tom Kane

Meaning of deck #8 (permalink) Mon Jan 26, 2009 19:01 pm   Meaning of deck

Hello Tom ,

I'm really glad to hear that you think I'm good at English. :) I am from Myanmar, which is also called Burma. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma

Your answer helps me . I understand why I have to choose "board".
I've one more question. Why couldn't I use "position" ?

For example, lets say John thought I would get a promotion.I knew I haven't got that position. He kept saying that I had a chance .So,I wanted him not to think like that because I was sure I could not get that position.
In this kind of situation, can I say
"Don't even think about it! I can't possibly take that on position" . ?
This is from test.
Or can I say "I can't possibly take that job"?

If I couldn't say like this how should I reply him that I couldn't get that job.

With regards,
Khinelay
Khinelay

Meaning of deck #9 (permalink) Tue Jan 27, 2009 19:26 pm   Meaning of deck

Hi Khinelay,

How are you? I'm glad I was able to help you out. In your example about "I can't possibly take that on position" it would be better said, "I can't possibly take that position." I removed the word "on."

Coming "on board" can also refer to a job. For example, "Tom, we like your resume. We'd like you to come on board. Can you begin work tomorrow." Then, I might say in reply, "Thank you for offering me the position."

Let me know if that helps Khinelay! I hope you're well. Is it cold where you live?

Talk to you soon,

Tom Kane

Usage of "A premature overabundance"What's the difference between tone and voice?"market research" to Georgianwhat does the word toddler mean?What does the "push the envelope" mean?What 'violent' in Vietnames mean?what does acommodation mean?freeze vs frostExpression: He is really gutsyThe crossover point is that production quantity where...what does 'bite his hand off' meanmillionaire vs. accountantthe letter of the law?