Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to extract from; to bring out; to draw out
soar
donate
elicit
extradite
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Detached vs. Lonesome

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
He's just making a fuss | Meaning of "to do one's hair"
listening exercises
Detached vs. Lonesome #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 23, 2006 14:24 pm   Detached vs. Lonesome

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Synonyms for alone and lonesome", question 4

She hates Christmas because she feels so sad and ......... despite all the people coming by to greet her.

(a) single
(b) lonesome
(c) apart
(d) detached

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #110 "Synonyms for alone and lonesome", answer 4

She hates Christmas because she feels so sad and lonesome despite all the people coming by to greet her.

Correct answer: (b) lonesome

Your answer was: incorrect
She hates Christmas because she feels so sad and detached despite all the people coming by to greet her.

Hi,

Its really a good site to learn english.
My questions are :
why can't we use "detached" ?
How we come to know about the correct answer? Whats the difference among all these synonyms ?

Please explain.

Thanks and Regards
Vivek
Vivek

Detached v lonesome #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:56 pm   Detached v lonesome

If she was all alone, if there was nobody around she would be "lonesome".
"Detached" means there are about but because she is sad she cannot relate to them, or communicate with them.
DOlier
You can meet me at english-test.net

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
He's just making a fuss | Meaning of "to do one's hair"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Expression: as blind as a batDifference in use: segregate versus separateInertia versus pressureCash vs in cashCasually vs. mildlyWhy not "since you've been here"?Expression: "Time-and-a-half" definition"I left my keys" vs. "I forgot my keys"Jobs vs. occupationMeaning of 'to be there for'Would you like VERSUS Do you likeCan you please VERSUS Should you pleaseIdiom: "you've lost me"