breadth; thickness
width
aircraft
driver
minute

It's very hot: It's scorching

What does fetch mean? | I can lend you some money until the end of the month
It's very hot: It's scorching #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2012 13:44 pm   It's very hot: It's scorching

ESL/EFL Test #118 "Weather Test (5)", question 9

When the temperatures are really high and it's very hot outside, people often say that it's ..........

(a) brewing
(b) scorching
(c) smoking

ESL/EFL Test #118 "Weather Test (5)", answer 9

When the temperatures are really high and it's very hot outside, people often say that it's scorching.

Correct answer: (b) scorching
_________________________

Any one can explain what is meant by brewing and Scorching?
Nandhini_Devi

Location: Chennai, India

It's very hot: It's scorching #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2012 14:27 pm   It's very hot: It's scorching

When it's very hot you can say that it's scorching. As for brewing, it doesn't make any sense in this context.

TOEIC listening, talks: Airport employee is announcing flight delays through loudspeaker system

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
It's very hot: It's scorching #3 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2012 17:12 pm   It's very hot: It's scorching

In my opinion anyone's first port of call for learning the meanings of words should be a dictionary.

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/brewing#brew_1

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/scorching
_________________

It's very hot: It's scorching #4 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2012 17:24 pm   It's very hot: It's scorching

We can also explain the meanings of words and phrases here on the forum.

TOEIC listening, talks: Restaurant employee is promoting dinner specials

It's very hot: It's scorching #5 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2012 17:27 pm   It's very hot: It's scorching

Yes, but that doesn't facilitate independence, and as independent learning is the desirable outcome I think the first option should be a dictionary. If the dictionary definition is not clear, then that's the time to ask someone else.

I am always impressed by people who attempt to find out for themselves.
_________________

It's very hot: It's scorching #6 (permalink) Wed Sep 05, 2012 19:04 pm   It's very hot: It's scorching

Me too. But then again I'm also always impressed by anyone who finds our site through web, goes through the process of registering on the forum and posts their question hoping somebody will answer.

TOEIC listening, talks: Car dealer is promoting used cars through a radio commercial

It's very hot: It's scorching #7 (permalink) Mon Sep 08, 2014 18:32 pm   It's very hot: It's scorching

Dear Torsten,

we really appreciate it.
Thanks for the attention. :)
JacquelineL

Location: Brazil

Urgent need.It's about nounsIs there such an expression?Tip into recessionHe's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?antiphonal singing or duet?Watercolor pen?How to email college admissions officeAgreement and Disgreement.What is the difference between "end" and "end up"?'which of the names' vs. 'what of the names''it is not impossible' vs. "there's a possibility"What does it mean: ingredientsWhat is the difference between "be afraid of" and "have fear"