successive; uninterrupted; permanent
either
retail
continuous
last

Meaning of annual increment

Idiom 'rolling budget' | Preposition During versus conjunction While
Meaning of annual increment #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:20 am   Meaning of annual increment

ESL/EFL Test #155 "Budgeting", question 6

The wrong way to prepare a budget is to include everything at last year's level plus annual ..........

(a) accrual
(b) increment
(c) inflation
(d) investment

ESL/EFL Test #155 "Budgeting", answer 6

The wrong way to prepare a budget is to include everything at last year's level plus annual inflation.

Correct answer: (c) inflation

The wrong way to prepare a budget is to include everything at last year's level plus annual increment.
_________________________

I am not quite clear about this answer, isn't it right to use "increment" here?

Many thanks
FangFang

Meaning of annual increment #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:44 am   Meaning of annual increment

.
An increment calculated on some basis would be a good way to prepare a budget; the sentence, however, states the wrong way to do so.
.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of annual increment #3 (permalink) Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:17 am   Meaning of annual increment

Hi, MM
I am confused why you shouldn't consider the "inflation" when making a budget :roll:

FangFang
FangFang

Meaning of annual increment #4 (permalink) Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:26 am   Meaning of annual increment

.
The point the author is making is that you should not prepare a budget simply by taking last year's budget and adding a figure for inflation. Each year's budget needs close consideration, not a perfunctory addition for inflation.
.
_________________

Meaning of annual increment #5 (permalink) Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:33 am   Meaning of annual increment

.
PS: I've just edited that question slightly to address your concerns, FF. In doing so, I also noticed that increment would normally require an indefinite article, as it is countable; inflation is not and therefore does not.

Thanks for your comments and questions on these tests; it helps me improve their composition.
.
_________________

Expression: "Time-and-a-half" definitionJobs vs. occupationMeaning of 'to be there for'Would you like VERSUS Do you likeCan you please VERSUS Should you pleaseIdiom: "can you run that past me again"Idiom: "to bite one's hand off"Meaning of soccerIdiom: It's all Greek to me'Try + infinitive' versus 'Try + gerund'Meaning of "brand name"Meaning of lonesomeNever hit me VERSUS never whip me