Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to indicate; to itemize; to mark; to designate; to stipulate
mend
crop
verify
specify
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
glass/glasses | Doubtful in using He, she, her, his, her etc.
listening exercises
1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be #1 (permalink) Sat Sep 15, 2012 17:41 pm   1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be

Hi teachers,

I read the following sentence in a book.
1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here because "stress" is a noncount noun. Am I right?

2) put/lay/place justice. Do they all mean the same?

Many thanks.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Re: 1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used her #2 (permalink) Sat Sep 15, 2012 18:36 pm   Re: 1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used her

1. It's OK with "a". In fact, "stress" may be countable or uncountable. However, even some words that are normally considered uncountable, and which do not have plurals, can be used with "a" in contexts like this. I think this is especially true when abstract words are qualified by an adjective or descriptive clause: "a great happiness", "an importance that is only now being recognised", "a rare honesty".

2. They appear to mean roughly the same, but none of them are especially obvious or common collocations, and more context is needed to judge which, if any, sound natural.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:22 am   1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be

He put great stress on justice.
He put a great stress on justice. What's the difference?

He puts great stress on justice.
He lays great stress on justice.
He places great stress on justice. Are these correct?
I'm a Communicator ;-)

1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be #4 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:00 am   1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be

What's the difference? - nothing significant. It's the writer's choice whether he wishes to treat stress as an abstract uncountable noun or a single countable noun.

Are these correct? - yes.
Language Coach

1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be #5 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:45 am   1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be

Thank you very much.
As for #2, are they same in meaning?
I'm a Communicator ;-)

1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be #6 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 15:09 pm   1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be

Yes, they have the same meaning.
Language Coach

glass/glasses | Doubtful in using He, she, her, his, her etc.
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
must/should/have to 2must/should/have toLondon's status as the capital of the British Empirecruiserecollected/recalled/rememberedThe city was destroyed by fire vs The city was destroyed by a fireI still haven't found it vs I haven't found it yetforget + gerundFirst person, second person, third personword orderHow to read this large numer?correct it more elegantlygenerous with/to/towards