communication; information; announcement; note; memo; intimation
admiration
message
ferry
skim

glass/glasses

How to read this large numer? | 1) He put a great stress on justice. I think "a" cannot be used here be
glass/glasses #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:33 am   glass/glasses

1. There is broken glass all over the place.
2. There are broken glasses all over the place.
Which one is correct as per subject-verb agreement?
Allifathima

glass/glasses #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 14:51 pm   glass/glasses

Both are correct. In the first case "glass" is used in an uncountable sense, referring to the material. In the second case "glass" is used in a countable sense, referring to drinking vessels made of glass (or, conceivable, spectacles, though that seems less likely).
Dozy

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
must/should/have toLondon's status as the capital of the British Empirecruiserecollected/recalled/rememberedThe city was destroyed by fire vs The city was destroyed by a fireI still haven't found it vs I haven't found it yetforget + gerundDoubtful in using He, she, her, his, her etc.First person, second person, third personword ordercorrect it more elegantlygenerous with/to/towardsis being badly