Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

character; nature; trait; arrangement; placement
itinerary
deal
disposition
initial
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

First person, second person, third person

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Doubtful in using He, she, her, his, her etc. | I still haven't found it vs I haven't found it yet
listening exercises
First person, second person, third person #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 am   First person, second person, third person

Hi teachers,

First person: I, we
Second person: You
Third person: He, she, it, they...

You, she and I are regular in class.
He and we are regular in class.
You, they and we are regular in classes.
They and I are regular.
You and they are regular.
Have I used personal pronouns correctly?

Many thanks.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

First person, second person, third person #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:01 pm   First person, second person, third person

First, I'm not a teacher, I'm just a student.
"You, she and I are regular in class.
He and we are regular in class.
You, they and we are regular in classes.
They and I are regular.
You and they are regular"
Are those sentences above just the examples. If they are, I think they are all correct grammatically.
But why do you use "classes" in "You, they and we are regular in classes" , "class" is still fine!
And in "He and we are regular in class" and "You, they and we are regular in classes", just use "we" with a slight nod or glance to the subjects you want to mention!
I'm here quite often ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
First person, second person, third person #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:08 pm   First person, second person, third person

It is a typo. So I used them all correctly?
I'm a Communicator ;-)

First person, second person, third person #4 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:48 pm   First person, second person, third person

I can't find any mistakes in those!
I'm here quite often ;-)

First person, second person, third person #5 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:57 pm   First person, second person, third person

"regular in class" does not sound tremendously natural to me. "attend class regularly" would be more usual.

Note also that "regular" has a meaning of "having regular bowel movements", and, to me, saying that someone is "regular", full stop, as in the fourth and fifth sentences, tends to conjure up that meaning. I may be unusual in this respect!
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

First person, second person, third person #6 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 14:41 pm   First person, second person, third person

I agree with Dozy - that is the first thing that came to my mind also - great minds think alike!
Luschen
I'm a Communicator ;-)

First person, second person, third person #7 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 15:09 pm   First person, second person, third person

Thank you very much.
"a regular student' is okay?
I'm a Communicator ;-)

First person, second person, third person #8 (permalink) Sun Sep 16, 2012 18:01 pm   First person, second person, third person

Untaught1988 wrote:
Thank you very much.
"a regular student' is okay?
Yes.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Doubtful in using He, she, her, his, her etc. | I still haven't found it vs I haven't found it yet
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Vocabulary question: overstatemust/should/have to 2must/should/have toLondon's status as the capital of the British EmpirecruiseHe pulled open the doorrecollected/recalled/rememberedThe city was destroyed by fire vs The city was destroyed by a fireforget + gerundglass/glassesword orderHow to read this large numer?correct it more elegantly