to move heavily or awkwardly; to accumulate; to collect
lumber
fax
chain
incline

I'm a fourth year student

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ESL Forums | English for Beginners
Present Perfect (Unit 16) | Days, Months etc. II (Unit 13)
I'm a fourth year student #16 (permalink) Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:50 pm   I'm a fourth year student

Thanks beeesness.
Is this correct sentence?
There is no need to walk on tiptoe in the hostel because you can walk freely in the hostel even at night time.
Parri

I'm a fourth year student #17 (permalink) Sun Jul 21, 2013 16:35 pm   I'm a fourth year student

There is no such word as 'u'. so your first sentence is not correct.

I am in the/my third year.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
I'm a fourth year student #18 (permalink) Sun Jul 21, 2013 18:39 pm   I'm a fourth year student

There is no need to walk on tiptoe in hostel because u can walk freely in the hostel even at night time.
Please correct me if there is any mistake in the sentence.
Parri

I'm a fourth year student #19 (permalink) Sun Jul 21, 2013 21:59 pm   I'm a fourth year student

I have already pointed out an error in your sentence. You have ignored it.
_________________

I'm a fourth year student #20 (permalink) Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 am   I'm a fourth year student

What is the right time to use present tense?

e.g me and mine friend were doing discussion on some topic. As we got the solution of our discussion . I said , " you was right ". Then my friend replied you should use present tense and the correct sentence is ," you are right".

As discussion had finished five minutes before the sentence I used. Then why I should use present tense?
please guide me. I am very confused.
Parri

I'm a fourth year student #21 (permalink) Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:58 pm   I'm a fourth year student

Because your friend is still right, even though the discussion has come to an end.
_________________

I'm a fourth year student #22 (permalink) Mon Jul 22, 2013 15:58 pm   I'm a fourth year student

Parri wrote:

You should have presented the post as intelligibly, clearly and grammatically as possible. See the modified version of your question:
======
My friend and I were discussing some topic. As we closed our discussion, I realized that he was right in his arguments. So I said, "You were right". Then my friend told me that I should use the present tense and say, "You are right".

The discussion had ended five minutes before I said it. Then why should I use the present tense? I am confused. Please guide me.
======
Now the answer given by Bev clarifies the position.
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

I'm a fourth year student #23 (permalink) Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:04 pm   I'm a fourth year student

Sir, why should I use the present tense not past tense?
Parri

I'm a fourth year student #24 (permalink) Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:47 pm   I'm a fourth year student

T_H_Lawrence wrote:
You should have presented the post as intelligently, clearly and grammatically as possible. .

Have you considered that perhaps he did so, as well as he possibly could?
_________________

I'm a fourth year student #25 (permalink) Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:49 pm   I'm a fourth year student

Parri wrote:
#

Because your friend is STILL right (in the present) even though the discussion ended in the recent past.

The further back in the past the discussion took place, the more likely it is that you would use the past tense. However, when the discussion took place recently, even though it is now completely finished, the present tense can be used.
_________________

I'm a fourth year student #26 (permalink) Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:52 pm   I'm a fourth year student

Parri wrote:

You should use the present tense because your friend is still right, even though the discussion has come to an end, as Beeesneees (Bev, as some of us call her) has said.

Now, suppose you want to tell another friend (of yours) about the outcome of the discussion you had had with him (your first friend), then you would say like this: We had a discussion on some topic. He was arguing on a particular point. I could not agree with him until he substantiated his contention quoting official statistics. Then, of course, I had to agree to what he had said. As I realized that I was wrong, I told him that he was right. (Here you can use the past tense)
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

I'm a fourth year student #27 (permalink) Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:59 pm   I'm a fourth year student

Beeesneees wrote:
T_H_Lawrence wrote:

I was trying to make the poster, an Indian, understand the difference between the two versions though we were able to grasp what he/she (they?) wanted to convey.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

I'm a fourth year student #28 (permalink) Mon Jul 22, 2013 20:05 pm   I'm a fourth year student

That's not what your statement implies when you use 'you should have...'. There is a clear indication here that you expect the poster to have presented the post in a different way.

It would have been better stated:
"Here is your post presented more clearly and grammatically:"
_________________

I'm a fourth year student #29 (permalink) Tue Jul 23, 2013 16:13 pm   I'm a fourth year student

Beeesneees wrote:
There is a clear indication here that you expect the poster to have presented the post in a different way.

Yes I do.

Well, you are not consistent with your responses. When you point out 'u' as not being a word in existence, you often forget to correct more serious errors such as the ones you would find in the original post repeated below:

Do you mean to say that the poster need not be corrected in the above case? We are on this forum to discuss and learn English, not to unnecessarily criticize or even to teach others. What we say may be accepted or rejected.

I take liberty with many of the users and explain what I know in more detail, and tell them that they should have done like this or that since they have already become my friends via private message facility or email. I enjoy being in touch with them. So do they, I believe.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

I'm a fourth year student #30 (permalink) Tue Jul 23, 2013 16:55 pm   I'm a fourth year student

No THL, I don't 'forget' to point out serious errors.
When I point out the basics, I consider them to BE the 'serious' errors! They are the over-riding uses that we come across every day, and if they cannot get those correct, then the rest will never fall into place.

If I were to point out every single error in a learners' post the over-riding effect would be likely to be a total sense of failure for that student. Modern research into the learning of second languages backs up my viewpoint on that. Learners need to be encouraged and my way of doing so is to focus on one or two basics at a time, not to expect them to get everything right straight off.
_________________

ESL Forums | English for Beginners All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Does the 3 years of physical presence have to be continuous or accumulation?Superlative form of Adjective and personality.offintroduce myrselfinstantly with the insinuatingpersonally from discussingGreetingsIs this possible ?What is the correct and why to say?I'm a fourth year student, page 3I'm a fourth year studentanswer the questionsPls give Feedback on "Tell about yourself" questions