Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

pair; group of two
couple
fax
tenant
salary
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the difference between 'move' and 'disappear? And which means step aside? | try on vs. try out
listening exercises
I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 28, 2006 17:29 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #208 "What Comes Next? (2)", question 4

I have tried, honestly but ..........

(a) I just can't get across to her
(b) I just can't get up to her
(c) I just can't get in between her
(d) I just can't get through to her

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #208 "What Comes Next? (2)", answer 4

I have tried, honestly but I just can't get through to her.

Correct answer: (d) I just can't get through to her

Your answer was: incorrect
I have tried, honestly but I just can't get across to her.

Why can't the answer be I just can't get across to her

Solakis
Solakis

Get through to #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 28, 2006 19:41 pm   Get through to

Hi,

You need I can't get through to her and that means I find it impossible to communicate with her.

If you want to use get across, you need an object after across as in: I can't get the message/information across to her. In other words she won't accept it/she can't understand it.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 am   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

Why not I just can not get up to her
Acharyasd
You can meet me at english-test.net

Re: Get through to #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 13:09 pm   Re: Get through to

Alan wrote:
Hi,

You need I can't get through to her and that means I find it impossible to communicate with her.

If you want to use get across, you need an object after across as in: I can't get the message/information across to her. In other words she won't accept it/she can't understand it.

Alan

Hi Mr Alan,
I would like to notice that there is an object: 'to her' after 'across' in answer: (a) I just can't get across to her, and I have found that 'get across to sb' means 'reach sb', so I think that answer (a) fits as well as the answer (d). What do you think?
But maybe you thought about the object: ' the message/information ' after 'get'?

Thank you
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 17:46 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

I just can't get IT/ THE POINT/THE MESSAGE/ THE INFORMATION across to her' would be acceptable
but not
I just can't get across to her'.
Language Coach

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 20:42 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

thanks, but I have found 'get across to sb' ='reach sb' , there:
http://www.diki.pl/slownik-angielskiego/?q=get+across+to+sb

what about it? (a) answer also fits here for me..

thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #7 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 21:53 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

As far as I can tell there is no context to the phrase on that page.
Language Coach

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #8 (permalink) Fri Dec 02, 2011 20:14 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

Beeesneees wrote:
As far as I can tell there is no context to the phrase on that page.

you mean to the phrase: I just can't get across to her'.?

ok, thanks, I understand.
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What is the difference between 'move' and 'disappear? And which means step aside? | try on vs. try out
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
not as pronounced as it is currentlyThere's no hope for me?"I'm sure we'll make it" vs "I'm sure we'll take it"What does "well back" mean?Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?provision vs. providerI would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?Meaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a littleShe was wandering down the hallConduct vs. guideDifference between 'if', 'as' and 'because'Difference between stick and adhere