pair; group of two
couple
fax
tenant
salary

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

What is the difference between 'move' and 'disappear? And which means step aside? | try on vs. try out
I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #1 (permalink) Mon Aug 28, 2006 17:29 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

ESL/EFL Test #208 "What Comes Next? (2)", question 4

I have tried, honestly but ..........

(a) I just can't get across to her
(b) I just can't get up to her
(c) I just can't get in between her
(d) I just can't get through to her

ESL/EFL Test #208 "What Comes Next? (2)", answer 4

I have tried, honestly but I just can't get through to her.

Correct answer: (d) I just can't get through to her

I have tried, honestly but I just can't get across to her.
_________________________

Why can't the answer be I just can't get across to her

Solakis
Solakis

Get through to #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 28, 2006 19:41 pm   Get through to

You need I can't get through to her and that means I find it impossible to communicate with her.

If you want to use get across, you need an object after across as in: I can't get the message/information across to her. In other words she won't accept it/she can't understand it.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #3 (permalink) Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:55 am   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

Why not I just can not get up to her
Acharyasd

Re: Get through to #4 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 13:09 pm   Re: Get through to

Hi Mr Alan,
I would like to notice that there is an object: 'to her' after 'across' in answer: (a) I just can't get across to her, and I have found that 'get across to sb' means 'reach sb', so I think that answer (a) fits as well as the answer (d). What do you think?
But maybe you thought about the object: ' the message/information ' after 'get'?

Thank you

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 17:46 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

I just can't get IT/ THE POINT/THE MESSAGE/ THE INFORMATION across to her' would be acceptable
but not
I just can't get across to her'.
_________________

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 20:42 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

thanks, but I have found 'get across to sb' ='reach sb' , there:

what about it? (a) answer also fits here for me..

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #7 (permalink) Thu Dec 01, 2011 21:53 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

As far as I can tell there is no context to the phrase on that page.
_________________

I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her #8 (permalink) Fri Dec 02, 2011 20:14 pm   I just can't get across to her vs. get through to her

Beeesneees wrote:

you mean to the phrase: I just can't get across to her'.?

ok, thanks, I understand.

not as pronounced as it is currentlyThere's no hope for me?"I'm sure we'll make it" vs "I'm sure we'll take it"What does "well back" mean?Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?provision vs. providerI would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?Meaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"Many vs. some/ much vs. many/ few vs. a littleShe was wandering down the hallConduct vs. guideDifference between 'if', 'as' and 'because'Difference between stick and adhere