solemn; acute; critical; requiring much consideration; humorless; grim
fair
underway
serious
second

Phrasal verb "take in" (understand)

meaning of "six pack" referring to "muscles" or 'work out' | What does "all blue skies" mean?
Phrasal verb "take in" (understand) #1 (permalink) Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:28 am   Phrasal verb "take in" (understand)

ESL/EFL Test #5 "Learning tips and instructions", question 9

Play the tape back as many times as you like and ......... everything that the native speaker has said.

(a) hold
(b) take
(c) hear
(d) repeat

ESL/EFL Test #5 "Learning tips and instructions", answer 9

Play the tape back as many times as you like and repeat everything that the native speaker has said.

Correct answer: (d) repeat

Play the tape back as many times as you like and take everything that the native speaker has said.
_________________________

I think that i use "take" here is a correct usage, which means understand.
Please help me expound it!
Thanks very much!
Raghvendra

Phrasal verb "take in" (understand) #2 (permalink) Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:28 am   Phrasal verb "take in" (understand)

.
The phrasal verb for 'understand' is take in, not simply take.
.
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Phrasal verb "take in" (understand) #3 (permalink) Tue Aug 18, 2009 17:08 pm   Phrasal verb "take in" (understand)

Correct answer: (d) repeat

your sentence:
Play the tape back as many times as you like and hear everything that the native speaker has said.

why hear is not correct?
Lizeth.rea

Phrasal verb "take in" (understand) #4 (permalink) Tue Aug 18, 2009 17:43 pm   Phrasal verb "take in" (understand)

It makes sense to use 'repeat' here because the beginning of the sentence is -'Play the tape back as many times as you like ...

_________________

What does 'in stitches' mean?What does "to pull your socks up" mean?I want to become a writer, bless you!Is coffee a harmful drug?What is meaning of "the right-of-way?Meaning of "Pass on"Expression: Go to answerWhat is "Canadian geese flying in formation" means?What does "marching in formation" mean?'On the microscope' vs 'under the microscope'How can I learn English grammar?Meaning of "over board"I'm here to inform you that I'm pressing charges against...