cargo or goods that are shipped for a fee; shipping cost; transportation; conveyance; shipment
government
counsel
freight
accident

Casually vs. mildly

Why not "since you've been here"? | Idiom: "you've lost me"
Casually vs. mildly #1 (permalink) Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:22 am   Casually vs. mildly

ESL/EFL Test #174 "Organizing a Business", question 1

According to Ron Kurtus of School for Champions, some companies may be ......... successful, but they could be even more profitable if they paid attention to the basics of organization.

(a) casually
(b) mildly
(c) scarcely
(d) willfully

ESL/EFL Test #174 "Organizing a Business", answer 1

According to Ron Kurtus of School for Champions, some companies may be mildly successful, but they could be even more profitable if they paid attention to the basics of organization.

Correct answer: (b) mildly

According to Ron Kurtus of School for Champions, some companies may be casually successful, but they could be even more profitable if they paid attention to the basics of organization.
_________________________

I cann't completely understand this sentence.
Can you help me why the correct answer is mildly?
Jincdong

Casually vs. mildly #2 (permalink) Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:42 am   Casually vs. mildly

.
Mildly here means 'modestly, moderately'. The key to finding the correct answer is in the phraseology, 'but...even more profitable [=successful]...'.

'Casually successful' is not an image that I can imagine; the words do not collocate highly.
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Pool vs. portfolioPresent participle of biteAgainst the window...Expression: as blind as a batDifference in use: segregate versus separateInertia versus pressureCash vs in cashMeaning of "to do one's hair"Expression: "Time-and-a-half" definition"I left my keys" vs. "I forgot my keys"Jobs vs. occupationMeaning of 'to be there for'Idiom: "to bite one's hand off"