evidently; obviously; allegedly; seemingly
regardless
adversely
apparently
surely

Why do we use you instead of me?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Come with me? What does that mean? | Orign of 'In every life, some rain must fall'?
Why do we use you instead of me? #16 (permalink) Thu Oct 15, 2009 13:34 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

:wink: Hi. Firsth at all get understand who is speaking to who was importand foe me. I this case I did not find a problem... but I should say I had not been sure about if it was a continuous story or not :D after all I decided it is, so it was clear for me: Two person spoke about someone else and what does they said than was easy find right solution. :wink:
Martin Král

Location: Czech Rep

Why do we use you instead of me? #17 (permalink) Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:56 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

dear friends,
i've recently listened a song of Taylor Swift named "You belong with me".i checked my dictionary the use of "belong" and the preposition that go with "belong" is "to".why is the song's name "you belong with me"?
Lien

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Why do we use you instead of me? #18 (permalink) Wed Dec 09, 2009 22:02 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hello there!
I think many people can learn object pronouns and understand the difference betwen subjects and possesives pronouns. But, at the beginnig it could be a little difficult to understand. So, as a English language learner, I have tried to apply this knowledge in my speeches with my classmates. The experiencie it is important here that's why I recommend all students to read more and more of this topic in order to stablish the difference between them.
Regards,Federico.
Federico

Location: Tapachula, chiapas, mexico

The use of We instead of me #19 (permalink) Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:35 am   The use of We instead of me

Hi everyone

To speak formal language we use "We".
The "me" is usual in slang.

kevinzos
Kevinzos

Why do we use you instead of me? #20 (permalink) Wed Dec 23, 2009 18:09 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hello Mr. torsten and english test team. I,m Thanaa from Iraq thank you for yours useful and interesting leasons.
F

Why do we use you instead of me? #21 (permalink) Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:01 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hello Dear Torsten,
As you see I'm quite often here last time and have a pleasure to be involved in the forum. I like This website and all of you who try to improve our level of English language. I would say that you are ''heroes of ''English-test.net'' and also Big PATRIOTS. Thank you so much for encouraging us and bringing back to ''english-test.net'' world!!!1 CHEERS
Maia K

Location: Beijing, China

Why do we use you instead of me? #22 (permalink) Wed Apr 14, 2010 14:49 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hello Kevinzos,
What do you mean when you say to speak formal language we use "We"? We use "we" for 1st person plural pronoun and "me" for 1st person singular pronoun. What slang are you talking about?
And "you" should not be confused with "me" in order to be polite. In no case "me" isn't informal because is me who I am writing to you.

Regards to all of you
Skydegirl

Location: Timisoara, Romania

Why do we use you instead of me? #23 (permalink) Wed Apr 14, 2010 18:09 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hello Skydegirl

Thank you for your reply.Do you allow "me" to explain a lot for a while? If you understood the subject of our discussion, I do not deny the "we" as the first person plural pronoun . Everyone knows the personal pronouns. But in this talk, it was about the use of formal speech. However, in your daily talk you can use your "we" at your ease, but when taking the floor in front of an audience, you should make the best choice of word you want to use for your speech . If not you will be speaking english but using slang.

Friendly thanks for having made me speak a lot.

kevinzos
Kevinzos

Why do we use you instead of me? #24 (permalink) Wed Apr 14, 2010 19:37 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hello Kevinzos

I know what you are trying to say, to be polite in front of an audience, with an old person or just with someone that you don't even know, but in this test it wasn't about to use the formal speech, because you say "you" to a friend, isn't it? But "you" is also used to refer to a person that you are polite with, from what I know. You compared 1st person with 2nd person in the case of politeness. You said that in the formal conversation it's more polite to use "you" than "me" which is informal, it's kind of being wrong.
I think that in this sentence "That's exactly what he said about..." both "you" and "me" were possible,aren't it?
"That's exactly what he said about me, that he doesn't trust me", or he doesn't trust you, which was the correct answer in both sentences which we are talking about in this post. To this I was referring.
Hope you are not mad at me, because I don' t understand if the formal or informal speech it should be used in this sentences. It was my opinion.

Regards
Skydegirl

Location: Timisoara, Romania

Why do we use you instead of me? #25 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:17 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

You're welcome Skydegirl

Before all, let's congratulate you for your involving to debates. The site is the way of sharing within those who learn and the native speakers, or teachers. The role of the forum is to help for a best understanding. Then, don't mind for the fact that I may be mad at you. Let's first thank a lot, the creators of the site who allow us tho share, to improve to learn. It's a wonderful initiative.
I know that your current analysis show your interest for the subject, but you have catched also what I mean. I respond yes the both use of "we" and "me" is normal and polite in a sentence when talking to your friends. Maybe I abused the use of informal, or didn't catch the question in the situation, but as you told in your current explanation with old persons, people you don't know, during a speech the use of suitable pronouns are polite, but let's say also that this is formal. This is what I mean.

See you then for next dabates
kevinzos
Kevinzos

Why do we use you instead of me? #26 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:20 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hello again Kevinzos,

This time I catched better what you were trying to explain me. The rigtht choose of using "we" or "me" during a speech, in fact you referr to use more "me" , to reffer me when I say I may do some things or not, instead to referr that "we" do something (we can use "we" too, depends on situation), I am representing myself, not everybody, isn't it? I think that's what you were trying to explain, informal or formal speech. To have personality as an one person not as a group. Thank you very much for understanding.

See you soon,
Skydegirl
Skydegirl

Location: Timisoara, Romania

The use of We instead of me #27 (permalink) Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:53 am   The use of We instead of me

Kevinzos wrote:
Hi everyone

To speak formal language we use "We".
The "me" is usual in slang.

Hello Kevinzos,

The word 'me' is not slang. It is an object pronoun.
The word 'we' is a subject pronoun.
The word 'you' is both an object and a subject pronoun.

In the test sentence, both 'you' and 'me' would be grammatically correct. You could not use 'we' or 'I' in the test sentence, for example, since those are not object pronouns. You need an object pronoun when the pronoun is the object of a preposition, as it is in the test sentence. (The preposition in the sentence is 'about'.)

However, since the sentence is apparently supposed to be part of a conversation, continued from the previous test sentence, the word 'you' makes more sense than 'me'.

_____________________________
"The object of the superior man is truth." ~ Confucius
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Why do we use you instead of me? #28 (permalink) Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:21 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

Dear ESL expert

Let's thank you too for involving in the dedates. Your daily efforts are for us a huge source of satisfaction.
But the debates is closed because of the fact that what you can see above is what we were talking about.
However, it's useful for learners to learn in touch of native speakers, experts and so on.
Your intervention isn't out of interest.

Thank you
Kevinzos

Why do we use you instead of me? #29 (permalink) Mon Apr 19, 2010 21:33 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hi Kevinzos and Skydegirl,

I wish to beg your pardon for involving in this debate of We and Me.Believe me , I have the easiest answer to this confusion. Would you like to listen?

Here it is:
Use ``We`` when it is the subject in the sentence. I mean, write `` We`` when the word does some action in the sentence.

For example, We gave Michael a bunch of flower in his birthday.

In the sentence above ``We`` stands as a subject which does the action of giving the flower.

Michel gave ``Us`` a bunch of flowers in our weeding party.

Now look at the second sentence, the word ``Us `` is the receiver of the action.Thus, it has the objective case of We as Us.
Simple rule:
Use We when it is a doer in the sentence ;use Us when it is a receiver of the action.
Sanjiwan

sanjiwan_pradhan@yahoo.com
Sanjiwan

Location: Kanchanpur, Saptary

Why do we use you instead of me? #30 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:08 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hi Sanjiwan,

First of all, let me tell you please, that I now the pronoun and its every different case that we should use. In this post we were talking about 2 sentences from a test, at the beggining of the post, if you read.
Take a look at ESL/EFL Test #38 "Object Pronoun", question 5 and make the test.
Why do we use you instead of me?
Skydegirl

Location: Timisoara, Romania

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
that are featured for no other apparent reasona jack of all tradesHe had been itching to see that band in concert for years.What does the phrase "Saul is also among the prophets" mean?easy for you to say?redundant vs. unneededExpression "Jump all over"Meaning of "break the handle"Why do we use you instead of me?, page 4Why do we use you instead of me?Why do we use you instead of me?, page 3Explanation of this dialogueWhy it is not "going" instead of "to go"