client; buyer; person who buys a product or service
sponsor
customer
coupon
rescue

Why do we use you instead of me?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Come with me? What does that mean? | Orign of 'In every life, some rain must fall'?
Why do we use you instead of me? #31 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 19:54 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Yes, I got you . I can answer even this. There is a reson why the word me is incorrect in that paticular test sentence.
Sanjiwan

Location: Kanchanpur, Saptary

Why do we use you instead of me? #32 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 19:55 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hi, I can answer why the word me is wrong in that perticular test.
Sanjiwan

Location: Kanchanpur, Saptary

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why do we use you instead of me? #33 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 20:00 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Yes, I can answer this.
Sanjiwan

Location: Kanchanpur, Saptary

Why do we use you instead of me? #34 (permalink) Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:18 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hello Sanjiwan

How are you doing? Cool? ok .
You don't think this subject is too old now?
You should innovate with something that is more current.
Then the purpose of sharing will get his full meaning.
We want to learn from you. Make a proposal for a new topic.

I'm waiting in order to involve the debates.

I'am looking forward to seing the new subject of discussion.

kevinzos
Kevinzos

Why do we use you instead of me? #35 (permalink) Wed Apr 21, 2010 23:28 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Sure,
Here we go,
How do we really understand what does ``Pun`` has to convey.
For example in the sentences below.

An ambasador is a peson who lies in a foreigh country for the benefit of his country.

Can anyone throw some light on it.I will really appriciate.
Sanjiwan

Location: Kanchanpur, Saptary

Why do we use you instead of me? #36 (permalink) Wed Apr 21, 2010 23:32 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

One more thing , I have recently created a website . I would be indebted if I could have the comments from you people.

thanks.

check the web site and let me know what contents I can add to it.3

http://palspalace.webs.com
Sanjiwan

Location: Kanchanpur, Saptary

Why do we use you instead of me? #37 (permalink) Fri Apr 23, 2010 0:53 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

when you are talking to some one you use you
Gorpub

Why do we use you instead of me? #38 (permalink) Thu Sep 09, 2010 19:32 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hello everybody,
I happened to come up with this forum when searching something in Google.
I actually want to find some forum discussing about "can we use "them" instead of "which"" regarding this sentence "He has written two novels, the first of which is the best." Can the "which" replaced by "them"? Btw, I picked the sentence from a dictionary (find out here). So, as a learner, I just actually don't need to ask this way, and just imitate the usage and pattern instead. I actually think that the "which" in this sentence is clear in pattern. But I just wanna know whether it is possible to replace the "which" with "them" in this case. I bet the "which" is commonly used word in the sense of this sentence. I hope Esl_Expert could drop some line about it.

Back to the main issue in this forum, I just want to add some to what Esl_Expert has clearly explained.
First of all, I want to say to everyone that this is actually the first time for me to take a test in english-test.net, Just because after I clicked the first link Google provided, I was redirected to this forum, then before reading the forum I clicked "Object Pronoun", question 5 and in fact the page is the answer page of test #38, so I was interested to directly go to its test page instead in order to test my knowledge. I got a perfect score on the test though. I went back to this forum, read through all the replies, and finally I needed to add something perhaps useful for us.
Here you go.
Well, the test looks like a story; That was what actually impressed me when reading the question #2, and the rest. I love the way you make up the test, english-test.net team!
"you" and "me" is grammatically correct to complete that sentence, but contextually incorrect.
I think why english-test.net team put "you" in the options is that "you" can function as subject and object as well (so it will mess a newbie learner up if one don't try to immerse in the story).
In the sentence "That's exactly what he said about ___", this is the clue, in that it also appears to be related to the context, and so it does (so, remember to involve a contextual approach)

If we pick out "me", the word after "said" must be changed to "to" so that this sentence still follows the story from the beginning; to be concise
"That's exactly what he said to me". or
"That's exactly what he said to me about you".
But in fact, we are provided by english-test.net team the word "about" not "to" after "said". So, we must choose "you" to follow the context. If we still want to choose "me", it's definitely correct NOT in this test but others, since this test requires us to choose "you" instead of "me" just because of the logic carried from the earlier sentences.
Look at this following scenario listed in original order given by the test #38!
A: So did you give the book to him?
B: Of course I did. I gave it back on Tuesday.
A: Well, he says that he doesn't trust you.
B: He doesn't trust me?
A: That's exactly what he said about you. ("said about me"? nonsense! except the speaker A is not paying attention to speaker B. "said to me" is ok, but ask the english-test.net team to change the sentence first ^_^) (Hints: I always kind of do some acting like a hollyood actor when watching a movie (scene by scene). That way I can totally immerse in the sentence, grammar, logic, pronunciation, and all things about the mystery of language. Can you all imagine how we will be like if we really act like an actor in a movie, we can remember and understand and as well as speak up all what the actor says? ^^)
That's all.
I hope I'm sort of clarifying what the main topic being discussed in here is.
Rivo
Rivo

Location: Taiwan

some books #39 (permalink) Sun Nov 07, 2010 15:08 pm   some books

dear friends,
how are you today?
i need your help... give me please some e.g.of English books..... i really need it 'cause i wanna learn some vocabulary
Cristyan

Why do we use you instead of me? #40 (permalink) Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:33 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

you is second person & them is used where there are more then one person?
is it correct are not?
Suphie

Why do we use you instead of me? #41 (permalink) Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:37 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

Yes - 'them' is always 3rd person plural, but it can also be 3rd person singular if it is not clear whether you are speaking about a male or female.

However, if it is clear which gender the person is, it would be wrong to use 'them' in a singular form. You should use 'he' or 'she' accordingly.
_________________

Why do we use you instead of me? #42 (permalink) Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:25 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

"Good day"
Sir Torsten, Thanks a lot for your lesson.
Actually, if i study your lesson regularly i will progress my english speaking, reading , writing and listening.
But, i can't do regularly. I will try to do every weekened.
"May you be happy and well"
Ngwe
from myanmar
Ngwe

Why do we use you instead of me? #43 (permalink) Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:49 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Good evening sir,
you vs your I think you is singular & your is plural !!!!
sir i want to difference between you're & your !!!! please send answer -Thanks
Prithvi1963

Why do we use you instead of me? #44 (permalink) Tue Feb 08, 2011 13:02 pm   Why do we use you instead of me?

Hi Prithvi1963,

Let's start at the beginning. 'You' is a personal pronoun and we can use it as a singular and plural pronoun as in: You are my friend (singular) and You are my friends (plural)

'Your' is a possessive adjective and describes what belongs to you as in: You drive a car and it is your car.

'You're' is a shortened form of 'You are' as in: You're (you are ) driving the car.

_________________

Why do we use you instead of me? #45 (permalink) Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:17 am   Why do we use you instead of me?

Good morning Mr.Torsen and english-test.net team I feel this forum is good for me to improve my english even though I am not living in english speaker environment but I could learning english with others that you assist in this forum. please give your comment in my writting. Thanks laurens
Laurens

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
that are featured for no other apparent reasona jack of all tradesHe had been itching to see that band in concert for years.What does the phrase "Saul is also among the prophets" mean?easy for you to say?redundant vs. unneededExpression "Jump all over"Meaning of "break the handle"Why do we use you instead of me?, page 4Why do we use you instead of me?Why do we use you instead of me?, page 2Explanation of this dialogueWhy it is not "going" instead of "to go"