piece of long fiction with a plot and characters; story
inhabitant
novel
qualification
loop

Why not unti (till)?

Look vs. sight | What does set the world on fire mean?
Why not unti (till)? #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 31, 2006 19:10 pm   Why not unti (till)?

ESL/EFL Test #55 "Chit Chat: Talking about the Doctor", question 10

Linda: But you can't go ......... I haven't described my other pains.

(a) still
(b) again
(c) till
(d) yet

ESL/EFL Test #55 "Chit Chat: Talking about the Doctor", answer 10

Linda: But you can't go yet I haven't described my other pains.

Correct answer: (d) yet

Linda: But you can't go till I haven't described my other pains.
_________________________

why not unti (till)?

Thank you
Elga
Elga

Yet #2 (permalink) Thu Aug 31, 2006 19:21 pm   Yet

The sentence should read: You can't go yet (because understood) I haven't finished ...

What you are thinking of is: You can't go until I have finished ... which is a different sentence and 'finished' is negative in the original sentence.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Why not unti (till)? #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:26 am   Why not unti (till)?

Hi, Alan.

I am quite confused by the word " pain" used in this test. I don't really know how to decide either singular form or plural form should be used.
In this test, the word " pain" has appeared quite a few times. There are in question no2: have been in "a lot of pain" , no6: "the pain" in my back, no8: mustn't forget "the pains" in my feet; no10: I haven't described my "other pains".
So, can you please make it clear for me?
Zishuli

Location: Malaysia

Why not unti (till)? #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:28 am   Why not unti (till)?

Hi, Alan.

Zishuli

Location: Malaysia

Why not unti (till)? #5 (permalink) Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:25 am   Why not unti (till)?

Zishuli wrote:
Hi, Alan.

The word "pain" can be both countable and uncountable. When it refer to physical suffering or discomfort as a abstract concept, it's uncountable. When it refer to physical suffering or discomfort as a definite feeling in a particular part of your body, it's countable.

Look at these two sentences:
Her back causes/gives her a lot of pain.
She has a pain in her back.

Hope this helps.

PS: You can find Alan's great explanation about this issue here:
Pain vs. hurt
Ttg

current assets vs. fixed assetsSo tired (not 'much tired')What is the largest body of water surrounded by land?How do you put 50 books in 9 shelfs in odd number with no shelf empty?What are billboards?What does furry mean?"bird of a different color" vs "bird of the same feathers"'the hard shorts the CEO' vs 'the big shorts the CEO'what is the expression of hot off the press?What is the meaning of lambs?What is the meaning of gross pay?What who does high gear mean?There should be spaces between the following words: restarting and union