Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

reaping; gathering in of crops; outcome; product
wallet
voyage
harvest
fulfillment
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Using At or In before the name of place

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
what does implied mean? | What does 'posh' mean?
listening exercises
Using At or In before the name of place #1 (permalink) Thu Aug 31, 2006 21:14 pm   Using At or In before the name of place

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Common Prepositions", question 9

Were you ......... church yesterday?

(a) at
(b) to
(c) on
(d) for

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #48 "Common Prepositions", answer 9

Were you at church yesterday?

Correct answer: (a) at

Your answer was: correct

Hi,
Please Let Me Know What Is The Difference Between At And In While Using Them Before The Name Of Place

Thank
Peter
Peter

Using At or In before the name of place #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:41 am   Using At or In before the name of place

Use at, Peter, when the place is considered or visualized as, or situated at, a point location (as when at long distance from the speaker):

I'll meet you at the drugstore.
I arrived at Denver at midnight because my flight was late.

Use in when the 3-dimensionality of the place is of concern or significance (as when specifying the inside rather than the outside):

I was supposed to meet her at the corner, but I found her in the drugstore.
I've never been in Denver before.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Using At or In before the name of place #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 27, 2009 15:46 pm   Using At or In before the name of place

why not " to" ?
Maple_Leaf
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Using At or In before the name of place #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 29, 2009 0:23 am   Using At or In before the name of place

'To' requires an action verb, not a linking verb.

Using At or In before the name of place #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:37 am   Using At or In before the name of place

Oh i'm sorry
i mistook simple past for present perfect " I've been to ...."
Maple_Leaf

Using At or In before the name of place #6 (permalink) Fri Sep 18, 2009 17:56 pm   Using At or In before the name of place

Hi, I've just read your response and I'm a little bit confused. In the first question of this test is "on the cornet", but you used as an example "at the corner". Is there any difference in the usage of different prepositions?
Thanks.
Mira
Mia1977

Using At or In before the name of place #7 (permalink) Sat Sep 19, 2009 0:05 am   Using At or In before the name of place

The relationship between 'on' and 'at' is the same as that between 'in' and 'at', except that 'on' refers to 2-dimensional spaces.

Using At or In before the name of place #8 (permalink) Fri Feb 11, 2011 13:59 pm   Using At or In before the name of place

Hello Mister Micawber,

If I say:
A cafe is on the corner.
We are meeting at the corner.
The prepositions : "on" and "at" can be changed in these sentences ?
Regards:
Kati S.

Using At or In before the name of place #9 (permalink) Fri Jul 13, 2012 14:12 pm   Using At or In before the name of place

I really appreciate a useful explanation about common preposition in English and their differences.
Thank you all :)
Ahmad6889

Using At or In before the name of place #10 (permalink) Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:01 am   Using At or In before the name of place

I always misuse these two prepositions..need more explanation..
Nerfezap

what does implied mean? | What does 'posh' mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Debt vs. debitdifference between happen to and come to?Why hardest not harder?Prepositions: "far from", "next to"What does "to mark down" mean?Whom vs. thatWhat does "That'll be the day" mean?Meaning of 'try me'Difference between all and everythingWhy is correct "She must be very healthy"?Expense account"How are you doing?" vs. "How do you do?"What does 'I wonder' mean?