kind; good
beneficent
local
unjudged
superfluous

Against the window...

"a little money" vs. "much money" | Pool vs. portfolio
Against the window... #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 01, 2006 21:27 pm   Against the window...

ESL/EFL Test #82 "Prepositons Test", question 3

I heard a glass breaking noise in the living room and ran to see what happened. A pigeon flew ......... the window and broke it.

(a) for
(b) from
(c) by
(d) against

ESL/EFL Test #82 "Prepositons Test", answer 3

I heard a glass breaking noise in the living room and ran to see what happened. A pigeon flew against the window and broke it.

Correct answer: (d) against

I heard a glass breaking noise in the living room and ran to see what happened. A pigeon flew from the window and broke it.
_________________________

may you please explain "against"? Thanks
Ted

Against the window... #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 01, 2006 22:59 pm   Against the window...

Hi Ted

In this sentence, using the word against tells you that the bird came in forceful contact with the window.

Here is a dictionary link:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/against
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "by her delivery"Meaning of 'to give somebody a piece of my mind'Difference between peculiar and uniqueComplaint with vs. complaint aboutWhy signing them why not sign them?Idiom: 'make believe'Definition of prepositionMeaning of whomPresent participle of biteExpression: as blind as a batDifference in use: segregate versus separateInertia versus pressureCash vs in cash