Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

financial obligation; debt; responsibility; obligation
liability
scratch
desk
existence
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What is the meaning of 'test tube'?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does this phrasal verb mean: "Make it up"? | Why won and not ended?
listening exercises
What is the meaning of 'test tube'? #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:21 am   What is the meaning of 'test tube'?

Test No. incompl/inter-59 "Testing, Testing", question 8

In the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde we see the hero mix something up in a test ......... and then drink it.

(a) tube
(b) pipe
(c) glass
(d) cup

Test No. incompl/inter-59 "Testing, Testing", answer 8

In the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde we see the hero mix something up in a test tube and then drink it.

Correct answer: (a) tube

Your answer was: incorrect
In the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde we see the hero mix something up in a test glass and then drink it.

Why' tube'?

Lusen
Lusen

Test tube #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:43 pm   Test tube

Tube is the shape.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What is the meaning of 'test tube'? #3 (permalink) Tue May 01, 2007 1:19 am   What is the meaning of 'test tube'?

Why in this sentence ..the hero mix (not mixes) and ....drink (not drinks)?
In the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde we see the hero mix something up in a test ......... and then drink it.
Ahmadsuffians

What is the meaning of 'test tube'? #4 (permalink) Tue May 01, 2007 6:07 am   What is the meaning of 'test tube'?

Lusen: Only "tube" goes with "test" in this test. A test tube is a long cylindrical glass vessel used in chemistry labs.

Ahmad: Think of this modified sentence, then "mixes" and "drinks" no longer make sense:

"In the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde we see him mix something up in a test tube and then drink it."
Diverhank
I'm here quite often ;-)

What is the meaning of 'test tube'? #5 (permalink) Tue May 01, 2007 7:26 am   What is the meaning of 'test tube'?

Hi ahmadsuffians,

We need the infinitive form after 'see' in this sentence or we could use the gerund form 'mixing'. The same construction can be seen in these sentences:

They watched him play/playing football.

We heard them sing/singing in the concert hall.

I saw him leave/leaving the house.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What is the meaning of 'test tube'? #6 (permalink) Tue May 01, 2007 20:14 pm   What is the meaning of 'test tube'?

Okay...Thanks Allan.
Ahmadsuffians

question 8. #7 (permalink) Sat Dec 25, 2010 15:58 pm   question 8.

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

53 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hello,

test tube: is a glass tube, closed at one end used in chemical experiments.

test-tube baby:baby is conceived by artificial insemination, or that develops elsewhere than in a mother body.
Grammar: after see, watch,hear,feel,notice sb/sth do + after make and let/ bare infinitive/ or gerund ; the verbs of the first group we always use bare infinitive.
For example:

I heard you come in. /bare infinitive/
I heard it raining. /gerund/

What is the meaning of 'test tube'? #8 (permalink) Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:43 am   What is the meaning of 'test tube'?

Thanks Katy for I have you as my communicator (teacher). Your explanations are clearly comprehensible. It`s very very important for (to?) a learner. My best regards.
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

What is the meaning of 'test tube'? #9 (permalink) Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:20 am   What is the meaning of 'test tube'?

43 Listened

Your welcome!
You ask something and both of us learn from it. My problem that I don't know how not to forget them.

What is the meaning of 'test tube'? #10 (permalink) Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:49 am   What is the meaning of 'test tube'?

41 Listened

Correction: How to not forget them.

What does this phrasal verb mean: "Make it up"? | Why won and not ended?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
bought a computer last weekWhat is a vampire?Meaning of 'most out of'?She got off the busWhy do they use does?testing times vs. testable times"bear with" versus "stay with"Expression: Would you mind if"work out" vs. "find out"Meaning of grantingMeaning of "I almost drowned"Want to find out who drove the red carMeaning of "You never did"