Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

delight; refreshment or entertainment given to its recipient without cost
treat
shareholder
council
debt
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

on the alert

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
How long have you worked here (at this place) as a city planner (in this job). | Idiom: 'grasp it at the first time'
listening exercises
on the alert #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:31 am   on the alert

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #555 "English Slang Idioms (297)", question 4

"The police have asked us all to be on the ......... for an older man in a green pickup truck. Apparently, he is parking his van in the lots of local businesses and is abducting women as they walk to their cars. If anyone sees someone that fits that description, either let me know or call the police immediately, " the manager told her staff.

(a) alert
(b) eye
(c) seeing
(d) observe

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #555 "English Slang Idioms (297)", answer 4

"The police have asked us all to be on the alert for an older man in a green pickup truck. Apparently, he is parking his van in the lots of local businesses and is abducting women as they walk to their cars. If anyone sees someone that fits that description, either let me know or call the police immediately, " the manager told her staff.

Correct answer: (a) alert

where do we use 'the", i always confuse usasge of "the' article, for example, in this story, " if anyone sees someone that fits "the description" or "that description"?
Vara
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

on the alert #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:15 am   on the alert

Here, 'that' is used to indicate the description which was just given. 'The' could have been used too.
Language Coach

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
on the alert #3 (permalink) Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:31 am   on the alert

Hi Vera,

The distinction between 'that' and 'the' in your sentence is - 'that' is demonstrative and 'the' is definite. 'That' is precise in that it refers to 'description' as indicated in the previous sentence and not to any other description. 'The' simply refers back to a description of 'older man'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

How long have you worked here (at this place) as a city planner (in this job). | Idiom: 'grasp it at the first time'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Mitchell is a police officer.Those kids should know better. They shouldn't tease that boy anymore.your evaluation please?I need your expense reports on my desk and on the double.indirectly controlled by, controlling or under common control with such Partythe oldest and largest trees in the world are found in CaliforniaA youth is a young personWhen we know the answer do we write it or do we click on it?ottoman vs deskPassionate about art in general?What is a mover?Meaning of "to finally tie the knot"?meaning of drain