realization; carrying out; performing; putting into effect; execution
implementation
index
tool
situation

Listening to English

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ESL Forum | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training
My first recording, please comment | Where is she from?
Listening to English #1 (permalink) Mon Jan 21, 2013 16:36 pm   Listening to English

Hi there,

I'm going to place here under this topic some short records in English with my transcript. But I have troubles in decoding of them. I can't make out some sections of the record, so the result is misunderstanding of meaning.

I call for help all natives to check my transcript and especially bold text.

Thanks in advance,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Leaving a message on an answering machine #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 21, 2013 16:38 pm   Leaving a message on an answering machine

My transcript:
Hi my sacred. This is Eva. Thanks for your message and for worrying about me. I do feel quite ill largely. Iíve got a really bad cold and I do if you like doing anything. Just stay in bed and rusting. I saw the doctor yesterday. He gave me prescription for some medicine and Iíve got an appointment to see him again the day after tomorrow. I have to message with a college secretary to say why Iím not there, but could you give me a favor? I should be Ok to come back to class after the weekend, but Iím worry because Iím missing a lot of lessons. Iíve been got a lot of tests the end of next week. So, when the teacher gives you exercises in class could you ask her for copying it for me? Thanks very much. OhÖ And thanks for saying you do is in shopping for me. But my sister is going to get something is for me tomorrow. Just bred, fruit, milk and so on. So, obey with a manage Ok. I hope to speak to you see no. Bye!
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Listening to English #3 (permalink) Wed Jan 23, 2013 16:11 pm   Listening to English

I don't know how to delete this post, I can't see the delete button, so see below...
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Talking about booking train tickets #4 (permalink) Wed Jan 23, 2013 16:13 pm   Talking about booking train tickets

Maybe someone can help me with this record since the first one is too complicated?

My transcript:
Woman: Donít ever ask me to do that again, John.
Man: Sorry. Whatís the problem?
Woman: Iíve just tried to be going train tickets over the Internet like you suggested. But it didnít work.
Man: What do you mean?
Woman: Well, I selected a date and time and route just like you supposed to. Then a message poped top saying ďSorry, but your selection is not valid.Ē So, I did it all over again and double checked everything. It took me absolutely eighties.
Man: But then it gave you the price?
Woman: Yes, but then when I tried to pay whendixa my credit card details.
Man: Oh! Well, Iíve never had any trouble. There must be some problem with their website.
Woman: Yes, thatís what they told me on the phone then. They suggested going to the station and getting the tickets today. And they said that bind them before we travel means to get a discount when can book the seats.
Man: Oh, we could just wait until a day will go and get on the train in. That might be easiest.
Woman: Look John, itís a very busy train. Now I want to know that weíll have somewhat to sit. So, letís now leave it at that.
Man: Ok, whatever you want.
Woman: I want a couple of tickets and a peaceful journey, but it seems that two...
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Listening to English #5 (permalink) Wed Jan 23, 2013 18:37 pm   Listening to English

"I just tried to book our train tickets over the Internet, like you suggested...
"date and time and route, just like you're supposed to...
It took me absolutely ages.
... but when I tried to pay it wouldn't accept my credit card details.
...that's what they told me when I phoned them.
... and they said that buying them before we travel means we get a discount and can book the seats...
... or we could just wait until we go and get on the train then...
... it's a very busy train and I want to know that we'll have somewhere to sit, so let's not leave it till then.
_________________

Listening to English #6 (permalink) Thu Jan 24, 2013 0:18 am   Listening to English

Hi, I'm not a native speaker:

Hi my sacred. (?) This is Eva. Thanks for your message and for worrying about me. I do feel quite ill largely actually. Iíve got a really bad cold and I do if you don't feel like doing anything. Just staying in bed and rusting resting. I saw the doctor yesterday. He gave me prescription for some medicine and Iíve got an appointment to see him again the day after tomorrow. I have to left a message with a college secretary to say why Iím not there, but could you give do me a favor? I should be Ok to come back to class after the weekend, but Iím worry worried because Iím missing a lot of lessons. Iíve been got (?) a lot of tests at the end of next week. So, when the teacher gives you exercises in class could you ask her for copying it a copier form* for me? Thanks very much. OhÖ And thanks for saying you do is in you'll do some shopping for me. But my sister is going to get something is some things for me tomorrow. Just bred, fruit, milk and so on. So, obey with a I'll be able to manage Ok. I hope to speak to you see no soon, though. Bye!

*I'm uncertain of that bit.
(?) I couldn't figure out what was said in those two places.
_________________
If you're going through hell... keep going.
Cristina.ro

Listening to English #7 (permalink) Thu Jan 24, 2013 0:34 am   Listening to English

These seem to have been overlooked but I could be wrong, of course:

Vladimir13 wrote:
Then a message poped top saying ďSorry, but your selection is not valid.Ē
Then a message popped up saying...

Beeesneees wrote:
...or we could just wait until the day we go...

Vladimir13 wrote:
See that button marked with what looks like an "X" (to the right of the "edit" button)? Well, that's your "delete" button! :-)
_________________
Cristina.ro

Listening to English #8 (permalink) Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am   Listening to English

Thank you Beeesneees!!!

It's really hard for me to get the English speech by ear. I'll try to hear those words and expressions what you've posted.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Listening to English #9 (permalink) Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:52 am   Listening to English

Thank you Cristina.ro!

First, I know about a button marked with an "X". But now for example I see this button only in this my post and no one in previous my posts. So I can conclude that only "fresh" posts are available for deleting. "Fresh" ones I call the posts that the person make in their session (until logouting) or their the very last post. It's a guess that is needed to check, though.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Not native? This is not an obstacle! #10 (permalink) Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:03 am   Not native? This is not an obstacle!

Cristina.ro,
hi again! :)

Now I see that this button really appears only for the last post because I watch it in my previous post addressed to you and don't watch it in my post addressed to Beeesneees.

Although you are not native you have good word hearing! How long have you been learning English if it's not a secret? Have you ever had troubles with speech hearing?

I have been training my speech hearing more than one year and still have big problems with it as you can be convinced. It worth me huge efforts not to give up my studies!..
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Listening to English #11 (permalink) Thu Jan 24, 2013 19:11 pm   Listening to English

Hi Vladimir,

I first started learning English in 2000 when I enrolled on a six-month-long course.

I'd say that understanding spoken English has never been a huge problem for me. But I guess that having a wide enough vocabulary as well as a good knowledge of idioms, kind of goes hand in hand with being able to hear things correctly. So, chances are that I won't be able to distinguish a word if I am not cognizant of the word in question. For example:

Vladimir13 wrote:
So, I did it all over again and double checked everything. It took me absolutely eighties.

Were you aware of the "take ages" collocation? (You obviously realized that "It took me absolutely eighties" didn't make sense.)
In the recording you posted, "ages" sounded much like "eighties" to me too, but since I knew that collocation, I was able to recognize it.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, in Russia, most (if not all) TV shows and movies are dubbed, aren't they? Well, in Romania, these are shown in the original language with Romanian subtitles. I think this makes quite a difference because, thanks to this system, I was familiar enough with spoken English even before I started learning this language.

Also, I've been watching all American shows and movies without subtitles for a few years now, so there! :-)
_________________
Cristina.ro

Listening to English #12 (permalink) Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 am   Listening to English

Hi Cristina.ro,

as to "take ages" I really haven't known this expression before. Honestly speaking, the expression "for ages" was familiar to me at that moment. I realize that "It took me absolutely eighties" doesn't make sense. At the same time I always find it conceivable that it might be some of set expressions, so I've tried to find "take eighties" in dictionaries. :)

Now I'm listening to records many times trying recognize sounds and choosing familiar to me words and expressions and using a context for making a sense. I've noticed that sometimes I don't understand my native speech and use the subject of conversation or of monolog in this case. It really helps me to be aware of speech.

There is no subtiles in Russian TV shows and movies. All foreign broadcasts are dubbed and you don't have possibility of listening original voices - they are or absent or sounds calmly in the background. As I know in Sweden (and not there only but in Romania too as I've known from your post :) ) they practise method of presentation described by you. It is a good idea when your hearing is getting used to sounding of foreign speech and I'm sure it saves somewhere in the mind and later it is recalled and reproduced without any efforts.

Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Talking about a new job #13 (permalink) Fri Jan 25, 2013 18:27 pm   Talking about a new job

One more portion of record is here.

My transcript:
Man: You know what?
Woman: Yeah?..
Man: Well, heís offered me a job with his company.
Woman: Thatís fantastic! What sort of thing might you be doing?
Man: Looking after the computers, the websiteÖ You know the same so to thing Iím doing now really. And attain a new small company.
Woman: But Iíve thought you want a change.
Man: Now the work itself is fine.
Woman: Just part of full bossÖ
Man: YeahÖ
Woman: Iím watching paying more?
Man: I donít know. Itíd probably be about the same. And know get it really well.
Woman: Have you met the others?
Man: Yes, they were really nice too. I mean he chose them, so thatís not surprising.
Woman: Of course. It would mean a longer journey?
Man: YeahÖ And probably work long hours too.
Woman: But the thing is youíve never really been happy where you are, have you?
Man: No, I suppose not.
Woman: Well, I would move I really would. If you get omit everyone you were great itíll make such a difference.
Man: Yeah, yeah, you are probably rightÖ
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

Listening to English #14 (permalink) Mon Jan 28, 2013 17:42 pm   Listening to English

Hi, it's me again! (I've underlined those parts of your transcript that are not (quite) right and added what I heard instead, in bold.)

Man: You know what Ed?
Woman: Yeah...?
Woman: Thatís fantastic! What sort of thing might would you be doing?
Man: Looking after the computers, the websiteÖ You know, the same so to sort of thing that Iím doing now really. And attain a new it's only a small company.
Woman: But Iíve thought you wanted a change.
Man: Now No, the work itself is fine.
Woman: Just part of full that awful* bossÖ
Man: YeahÖ
Woman: Iím watching paying And would he pay you more?
Man: I donít know. Itíd probably be about the same. And know get it But Ed and I get on really well.
Woman: Have you met the others?
Woman: Of course, it would mean a longer journey?
Man: YeahÖ And probably work longer hours too.
Man: No, I suppose not.
Woman: Well, I would I'd move, I really would. If you get omit everyone you were great itíll make on with everyone you work with, it makes such a difference.

*I'm not sure I heard that bit correctly.
_________________
Cristina.ro

Talking about the Chiropractic Clinic #15 (permalink) Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:07 pm   Talking about the Chiropractic Clinic

Here is one of my next attempts...

Transcript
When I was younger I was a key and rugby player. As a result I suffer the back injury and Iíve spent quite a few years after that visiting a Chiropractor. Thatís why I decided to set up on my own clinic. This nothing like being a patient yourself do not adjust we are going through. My own philosophy about health is that itís of both physical and mental. Good health is really about both their parts working to the best of the body as ability. Thatís why our treatment aims to maintain a patientís health by carrying out really thoroughly examinations to mona to progress. Educating patients is one of our priorities. Weíve found over time because oversee no one itís cure every night that educated patients get better quicker and theyíre staying better for longer. Most people look for a specific institute that fit on cause of their problems whether itís a headache or back pain. But in reality itís how the spine functions in everyday life that the cause of the problems. The repairís movements can be catastrophic for your back at the period of time if yours mind isnít working correctly.

_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

ESL Forum | Listening, speaking, pronunciation and accent training All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Talking in Englishthe firstmy first speaking practisecontemporary artthis is my first recording.My first voice messageNeed TOEFLģ speaking partner for trainingMy recorderSpeaking practice_recording_North Korea enters 'state of war' with Southmy first messagemy first messageListening to English, page 4Listening to English, page 3