extra; supplemental
visible
additional
tight
outside

Difference between peculiar and unique

Complaint with vs. complaint about | Meaning of "by her delivery"
Difference between peculiar and unique #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:22 am   Difference between peculiar and unique

ESL/EFL Test #175 "SKUs and Pricing", question 1

Sales derive from a product's stock-keeping Units (SKU), the ......... combination of the specific quality, price, container size, colour, model, etc, and the product name.

(a) deviant
(b) discreet
(c) peculiar
(d) unique

ESL/EFL Test #175 "SKUs and Pricing", answer 1

Sales derive from a product's stock-keeping Units (SKU), the unique combination of the specific quality, price, container size, colour, model, etc, and the product name.

Correct answer: (d) unique
_________________________

Both "peculiar "and "unique" mean something special, what 's the difference here? Thanks!!!

F.F
FangFang

Difference between peculiar and unique #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:09 am   Difference between peculiar and unique

.
Hello, FF.

Peculiar is usually used to mean something special in an odd or strange way-- not appropriate here. He has a peculiar way of speaking.

There is, however, one post-adjectival phrase, peculiar to, which does not mean odd, but is synonymous with unique to:

The Kangaroo is peculiar to Australia.
The kangaroo is unique to Australia
.
.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "I'd give my right arm if...Idiom: "at the back of my mind"Idiom: Hot airDifference between modify and transformMeaning of 'to give somebody a piece of my mind'Meaning of strategyIndefinite article: "a" vs. "an"Why signing them why not sign them?Idiom: 'make believe'Definition of prepositionMeaning of whomPool vs. portfolioPresent participle of bite