Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

extra; supplemental
visible
additional
tight
outside
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between peculiar and unique

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Complaint with vs. complaint about | Meaning of "by her delivery"
listening exercises
Difference between peculiar and unique #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:22 am   Difference between peculiar and unique

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #175 "SKUs and Pricing", question 1

Sales derive from a product's stock-keeping Units (SKU), the ......... combination of the specific quality, price, container size, colour, model, etc, and the product name.

(a) deviant
(b) discreet
(c) peculiar
(d) unique

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #175 "SKUs and Pricing", answer 1

Sales derive from a product's stock-keeping Units (SKU), the unique combination of the specific quality, price, container size, colour, model, etc, and the product name.

Correct answer: (d) unique

Hello,
Both "peculiar "and "unique" mean something special, what 's the difference here? Thanks!!!

F.F
FangFang
I'm here quite often ;-)

Difference between peculiar and unique #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:09 am   Difference between peculiar and unique

Hello, FF.

Peculiar is usually used to mean something special in an odd or strange way-- not appropriate here. He has a peculiar way of speaking.

There is, however, one post-adjectival phrase, peculiar to, which does not mean odd, but is synonymous with unique to:

The Kangaroo is peculiar to Australia.
The kangaroo is unique to Australia

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Complaint with vs. complaint about | Meaning of "by her delivery"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Meaning of "I'd give my right arm if...Idiom: "at the back of my mind"Idiom: Hot airDifference between modify and transformMeaning of 'to give somebody a piece of my mind'Meaning of strategyIndefinite article: "a" vs. "an"Why signing them why not sign them?Idiom: 'make believe'Definition of prepositionMeaning of whomPool vs. portfolioPresent participle of bite